Protein skimmer for low-boy frag tank

GammaYankee

Supporting
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I got a 30" X 20" X 6" low-profile tank, and I am keeping two clown fish, a **tiny** tomini tang, and quite a lot of euphyllia in it. It has been running without a skimmer for a few months, and everything looks fine.
I did a water test today, and the NO3 is at 50. I guess it's about time to add a skimmer. Any suggestion for a protein skimmer that will fit this low-profile tank? I do not plan to drill it and add a sump.
I am thinking of an Aquamaxx bullet-1 but would like to collect some thoughts from ARC members. Thanks!

PS: My girlfriend bought this tank new for 500 bucks, how sweet and how unwise she is...🤣

I have this one on my 50gal AIO tank and it is putting in work. Small footprint and quiet as a mouse and you can see the skimmate it’s collecting. I also have the bullet-1 on my 25gal tank and the Magtool is far superior 755BB614-0A1C-4064-9FD1-90796BEDF4F9.jpeg

Last edited:

I have this one on my 50gal AIO tank and it is putting in work. Small footprint and quiet as a mouse and you can see the skimmate it’s collecting. I also have the bullet-1 on my 25gal tank and the Magtool is far superior View attachment 78104

Thanks for the suggestion. Is there a recommended water line for this thing? My water level is probably 4-5 inches above the bottom of the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I
Thanks for the suggestion. Is there a recommended water line for this thing? My water level is probably 4-5 inches above the bottom of the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t think so. It has an adjustable controller, so you are able to fine tune and adjust the water level with it. I have mine set about 50% power. Anything above that and it will over fill the cup with water and no skim.
You can try it out with Amazon and if the water level doesn’t work for you then you have the option of returning it, but I think you will love it…it’s a work horse.

I

I don’t think so. It has an adjustable controller, so you are able to fine tune and adjust the water level with it. I have mine set about 50% power. Anything above that and it will over fill the cup with water and no skim.
You can try it out with Amazon and if the water level doesn’t work for you then you have the option of returning it, but I think you will love it…it’s a work horse.
That sounds like a good idea, let me send Bezos a small portion of my paycheck, again.

I have one of these for sale $50
Nice. Let me think about it. My frag tank is an AIO and I already have a lot of random equipment in the back chambers. Don't want to throw this in the display area...
Let me think about it. It's a nice deal and thanks for the offer!

I have been running a 9001 in my Waterbox cube for awhile now and it works great.

I have this one on both of my lowboys
I inherited the big brother (9004, I think) with my 60g Innovative Marine tank and I could never get it dialed in where it did another other than foam in the neck or overflow. I'm about to clean it and see if that helps. Any advice?

Try the lowest setting and just let it run for a couple of days with the cup/lid off.
Or try to raise it…the water level may be too high in the skimmer

Back