Stands

Hands mcfeeler

Supporting
Reaction score
Afternoon! I'm ordering a 62g lagoon tideline from Simon at Nemo and was looking for advice/ help building a stand. I have quite a few 4*4 left over from my fence and wonder how that would compare to using 2*4. Also, what's the best way to cover it so it doesn't look like I built it? I know my wife really likes the high gloss white red sea style cabinets. The tank is only 15.5" y'all so I'm thinking of building the stand to about 44" high. Thoughts on stability with it being taller than the average?

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk

I use 2x4 for anything that’s 4 foot and under as long as you build them right you should good. I learned how to build from King of DIY on YouTube. He mostly does freshwater but has some good stand tutorials. As for the outside I used wainscot and hade the groves horizontal and painted it black.

Thanks! Yeah, I have some 2*4s but way more of the 4*4s. Matt just use the larger ones to do the uprights, and the smaller for the framing. I'll look into the wainscotting.

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk

It’s going to be more than strong enough for that 62. If you use 8 2x4 it will support 4800 lbs+

4x4 left over from your fence, so I assume they're pressure treated?

4x4, especially pressure treated is going to be prone to twisting and warping. Also, doubling 2x4 is stronger than a 4x4. I personally would not use a 4x4 and I would also not use pressure treated, so that would be a double no for me.

It’s just 7 gallons bigger than a 55 gallon tank, you can get away with just strips of plywood 5 inches wide glued and staple or screwed together in the corners, sand it and paint it white,

Too much structure will impede a nice size filter set up underneath

4x4 left over from your fence, so I assume they're pressure treated?

4x4, especially pressure treated is going to be prone to twisting and warping. Also, doubling 2x4 is stronger than a 4x4. I personally would not use a 4x4 and I would also not use pressure treated, so that would be a double no for me.

I 100% agree. Try to stay away from PT construction grade wood and stick with 2x4s, as said, the 4x4s will start to warp and twist much more frequently than 2x.

Back