Ugh, my "I had to do it" RSR 200 G2

mattyams

Market
Reaction score
It's been a long day. I'm tired as hell. Here is a photo or two. I'll explain later.

PXL_20221113_230427837.jpg

How many tanks are in this picture.
PXL_20221114_045955632.jpg

Toys:
Radion XR15 G4 Pro
2x MP10QD
Bubble Magus Curve 5 Elite w/ CO2 scrubber
Ecotech Vectra S2
Red Sea ReefMat 500
Tunze 3155 Osmolator
Neptune Apex - Trident, FMM for RODI/ATO res refill and leaks, pH, salinity, ORP, temp. EB8. Few solenoids for rodi flush/fill/etc.
200w Cobalt Heater
Turbo Twist 6x UV
Trigger Sys 5g ATO res
Salt - Reef Crystals

Fishys:
2 Percula Clowns
Lawnmower Blenny
2 Blue/Yellow Damsels
Six Line Wrasse

Corals:
Button Scoly
Pink Tip Elegance
Toxic Core Hammer
Peach Tip Torch
Emerald Bounce Discosoma
Ultra Trachy
Nightshade Acan
Oddball Acan
Poisonberry Blasto
Sourpatch Rhodactis
Rock Flower Nem
Rainbow Yumas x3
GSP
Firework Cloves
Zoas - Yellow Brick Road, Daisy Cutter, Everlasting Gobstopper, WWC Bloodsucker, Mandarin Orange, Punkrockers, Rastas, Utter Chaos, and some other I have no damn clue the names.

Inverts:
Snails and shit.
2x Tiger Conchs
Cleaner shrimp
RBTA

Last edited:
So, here's the skinny. My JBJ RL30 that is roughly 11 years old was setup in my house in Roswell, and then I moved to Marietta. During that move the base glass got a gnarly crack and I was devastated. Determined to still use the tank, I purchased a cheap pane of glass, cut it to size and used silicone to seal it. It worked...for 8+ years and through another move to Woodstock. Well...all good things must come to an end and the seal began to break down. And well...here we are. Long story short, didn't want to fix it again, there are a bunch of cool tanks and I really like the RSR line.

I'll post more as I get this area cleaned up. It's a bit chaotic at the moment.

Update time, I suppose. The move to the new tank has seemly gone well. It was a huge headache and the fact that I went out of the country for two weeks didn't help. But, so far so good. I updated the original post with a equipment list, stock list, etc. Here's a FTS for now.

PXL_20221230_222238523.jpg

looking good. my only recommendation is instead of a single 200W heater, maybe get 2x100W or 2x150W? this way if one fails, you have a backup running so the swing isn't so bad and you can fix it in time.
Didn't even think about this! Thank you for the recommendation!

Moved some stuff around and made a zoa rock for the absurd amount of zoas that I have.

PXL_20230110_015109175.jpg

Nothing much to report. I'm fighting All swings but that might be my fault. tM Pro Reef salt mixes at 7dkh. Looks like my tank likes it around 8. Been using a baking soda mixture to try to dial it in, but that is proving to be difficult. My All For Reef keeps mag and cal in line but my all is just off doing whatever TF it wants. I'll figure it out eventually.

Couple shorts from the past few days.

PXL_20230115_021210288.jpgPXL_20230114_014700957.jpgPXL_20230112_235641412.jpgPXL_20230111_005453138.jpgPXL_20230112_235700546.MP.jpg

Oh and the elegance coral I bought under the impression that it was an Aussie elegance appear to be more Indo and it died from ECS within a week or so.

I know both regions can have this problem but the issues with the Aussie elegances are few and far between.

Bummer.

Oh and the elegance coral I bought under the impression that it was an Aussie elegance appear to be more Indo and it died from ECS within a week or so.

I know both regions can have this problem but the issues with the Aussie elegances are few and far between.

Bummer.
Bummer on the elegance. Sorry to hear. Also, how much water change are you doing at a time? I keep my dkh at 8 but my mix is at closer to 10 and I don’t really have issues with swings since I am doing only 10% at a time.
What is your mag at? Kind of weird you are off balance with your alk but your calc is fine. Then again, I don’t know how all for reef works.

Water changes clock in around 5 gallons a week. Mag is at 1330. It's weird.
1330 should be keeping it the alk/calc stable in consumption. Trying to pin point the issue, does it go off balance regularly? Or after water changes? Trying to determine where it is happening. If it's happening water change or not, then it sounds like there is some alk/calc ratio imbalance from All for Reef dosing.

After a water change, it drops every time. I figure that's because Reef Pro mixes at 7dkh. I've never really had to deal with keeping parameters in check before (like 10 years ago), so this is new for me. Maybe I should stop the dosing for a week and see how it goes. I started to dose the all for reef because I noticed that my cal/mag were getting consumed quicker than I could replenish with WC. First thing I did was get them stable then started the all for reef.

Back