Anyone successfully growing phytoplankton?

york1

Supporting
Reaction score
I have heard from some to sterilize all vessels and anything that will come into contact with the phyto culture. Others have told me to just keep things clean.
So what is your method? If you go the sterilize route what do you use for cleaning? Any tips would be appreciated

kullas

Supporting
Reaction score
I use alcohol to sterilize the hi c bottle and use rodi water to rinse the alcohol out.

kullas

Supporting
Reaction score
Keep 2 or more more cultures going at one time incase one crashes. In my case both crashed one after the other. Glad I had some in the refrigerator to start over.

york1

Supporting
Reaction score
Ok i was thinking alcohol or a mild bleach solution. So far I have 5 1 gallon bottles and flexible led strip lights. Hopefully I can figure out how to cut holes for the air lines in the lids without cracking em. I plan to run 2 nano and 2 tetra with a spare bottle just in case.

Cook

Supporting
Reaction score
I've only recently started to keep my clownfish fry supplied, but I used 1/2 cup of vinegar to 5 gallons tap water and then rinsed well and let dry. I drilled holes (3/16" or slightly under) in the caps for the rigid airline.