Back in the Hobby, Marcus' 220 Mixed Reef

Wmb0003

Member
Supporting
Messages
72
Reaction score
74
Location
Auburn AL
Well the copper band started to slow down eating but he was still eating some just not as aggressive as when first introduced; I had to go out of town for a 3 day weekend to visit family and when I came back, he had passed. 😥 I have heard that orange/klein butterfly fish were hardier and still aiptasia eaters but they would go after coral more than copper band. Since I already have a Moorish idol and angelfish, most of the coral on their menu I don't have anyway so I went ahead and ordered one of these to try. He wiped out my visible aiptasia within a few days, I'm sure I still have some in my tank that he cant get to, but I am not worried because between him and my filefish, they should keep the aiptasia in check. The kleins butterfly does nip at my pocillora, but I am OK with that if he continues to keep my aiptasia at bay.

Finally got my KH director online the end of last month, I calibrated the dosing heads with a dosing cup that measured in 5ml increments so my slow reagent dosing head wasn't very accurate but it was setup and working(about 1.5kh off from hanna). I ordered a gram scale that was accurate out to 0.01 units and re calibrated the heads, I am now normally 0.2-0.4kh higher on the KHD than my hanna tester. I was a little surprised though because most other people have the KHD read lower than hanna. I am not really chasing a specific number though, more concerned with consistency over time and a dosing pump/KHD is more consistent/accurate than me trying to hit the 10ml line on my hanna curvette the same every time.

I was testing my parameters last night and got to salinty so thought I would use my new salinity calibration fluid to check calibration my refractometer, I bought a VeeGee a few months back and it has been holding calibration rock solid. Uh Oh, the new calibration fluid is showing 40ppt instead of 35ppt. Still have some old calibration fluid, so cleaned the refractometer and put it on there, its reading 35ppt. So I don't know which one is right. I did put some RODI on it and the 0 lined up better when it was calibrated to 35ppt(old calibration fluid.) Pulled out my old swing arm, its showing my tank around 1.030sg. The last ICP test i had done in August showed salinity slightly higher than I expected, around 1ppt higher. So I am very confused but don't want to overreact so I am just going to leave things as they are until I can get some more calibration fluid to cross reference. Brightwell is what I had been using, ordered a Fritz and whatever amazons choice was, should be delivered tomorrow.
 

Wmb0003

Member
Supporting
Messages
72
Reaction score
74
Location
Auburn AL
I plan to make my own standard the next time I need some.
I thought about the possibility of this last night and contemplated trying to make one but it was late and I was tired; with amazon's fast shipping, I decided to go to bed. I might try to make one this afternoon as another reference, but before I make any drastic changes, I want to compare to a few different standards.
 

Wmb0003

Member
Supporting
Messages
72
Reaction score
74
Location
Auburn AL
Well I made some DIY calibration solution, super easy if you have an accurate scale; I probably would have done it last night if I had known it was that easy. Bad news is the new brightwell calibration solution matches my DIY solution which means my tank water is around 1.029sg. I will add a little RO water to my AWC NSW container to lower the salinity today and then verify with the other 2 standards that arrive tomorrow. If it does match, which I think it will, I will add a little more RO water to my NSW container to slowly bring down the salinity to 1.025.

I am guessing some water evaporated from my first bottle of calibration solution causing the salinity to rise. Learn from my mistakes, check that old calibration solution and ensure the top is always well secured.
 

Wmb0003

Member
Supporting
Messages
72
Reaction score
74
Location
Auburn AL
I have made quite a few changes in the past month, below is a summary of what has changed:
  • Lowered my salinity back to my desired range over the course of several weeks by using lower salinity water in my AWC system
  • Added additional outlet on separate circuit so I can add more things without worrying about tripping the breaker
  • Added 2 81W 470nm light bars
  • Built a DIY nitrate reactor where I dose carbon, Nitrates are finally starting to drop 🙌
  • Updated my ATO process to Kamoer ATO with 3 sensors instead of directly from RODI 2x per day, hoping to keep salinity more stable, also reduce TDS creep and make RODI media last longer
  • Added GHL profilux 4, right now I am just using it to capture the probe readings, will add logic and use the power bar soon. I think for sure I will use it to control temp. Still debating what else I want to do with it.
 
Top