Check tank for brooks.

joshainga

Market
Reaction score
Hey I came up and purchased a pair of small midnight lightning clowns out of the back tank on the right where you guys keep most of your inverts and a couple of anemones and I guess hold fish last weekend. Well fast forward a few days and both started showing signs of brooklynella. So I treated as soon as I saw last night and have lost one. Just a heads up as these were the only 2 fish in a qt tank with sand and live rock I have. They seemed a little picky when I fed them at first but I thought it was because they were just getting settled in but think there may have been an issue. Sucks because I’d already grown attached to them and cannot seem to find anymore around for sale.

Attachments

• EF74E376-E104-4A37-8EE3-534516C87511.jpeg
    EF74E376-E104-4A37-8EE3-534516C87511.jpeg
    269.3 KB · Views: 14
  • AECFC5F7-1895-40F8-93BD-C2DB97D3BAB6.jpeg
    AECFC5F7-1895-40F8-93BD-C2DB97D3BAB6.jpeg
    247.9 KB · Views: 14

joshainga

Market
Reaction score
As I just set it up a few weeks ago that long. The only thing I’ve added since I set it up was frags from my display so I could make room in it and that was a day or 2 before I put the clowns in it. I do not have a straight hospital tank set up as I’ve had incredibly good fortune on getting very healthy fish and them typically going from a QT tank to my displays within a couple of weeks at most. This tank I put the clowns in was set up specifically for them.

Gabridge83

Supporting
Reaction score
As I just set it up a few weeks ago that long. The only thing I’ve added since I set it up was frags from my display so I could make room in it and that was a day or 2 before I put the clowns in it. I do not have a straight hospital tank set up as I’ve had incredibly good fortune on getting very healthy fish and them typically going from a QT tank to my displays within a couple of weeks at most. This tank I put the clowns in was set up specifically for them.
Make sure to leave it fish free for at least 90 days to be sure any parasites have died off.

joshainga

Market
Reaction score
Make sure to leave it fish free for at least 90 days to be sure any parasites have died off.
Yup. That is exactly what I will be doing. I will also take a couple of the spare 20 longs I have and set some new bare Qt tanks up and get them cycled

lmm1967

Supporting
Reaction score
Based on that information - there are other places you could have picked up a disease that infected the fish - the store is, of course, one of those potential sources - but that is not the exclusive potential source IMO. Your rocks and sand appear to be much older than a couple weeks - I'd consider treatment options for wherever the rocks and plugs came from. There is also what looks like hair algae on the glass - so there are nutrients in there - how was the tank cycled and is the cycle mature enough to not stress new fish?

joshainga

Market
Reaction score
Based on that information - there are other places you could have picked up a disease that infected the fish - the store is, of course, one of those potential sources - but that is not the exclusive potential source IMO. Your rocks and sand appear to be much older than a couple weeks - I'd consider treatment options for wherever the rocks and plugs came from. There is also what looks like hair algae on the glass - so there are nutrients in there - how was the tank cycled and is the cycle mature enough to not stress new fish?
The rock came out of a tank that was running coral and had 1 pygmy angel in it which is in my current display. The rock sat in water for 2 days with a powerhead to continue flow to it. I test my tanks every 2-3 days to make sure that they have finished cycling before I add any fish. The algae may also be from having 2 ai primes on the tank that I have been playing with intensity and timers on for my frags. I actually planned on grabbing some snails for this tank to help clear it up. I run carbon as well as filter floss in the tank and figuring since it was only going to be 2 small clown fish in the system the hob set up I have working should be more than enough to keep the tank levels in check.