Seems every project for these tanks fights me but I guess thats the draw. Once its figured out and working I'm like, ok now what Glad you got it working and hope you can save the babies!! Need pics of that!Do you ever have a reef project that seems to fight you every step of the way? That's this project for me. I finally got all my PVC glued together yesterday and even though I marked everything, the return line was a problem. I was worried it would get too short on me since the PVC always goes together easier once the glue has been applied, but I ended up being a 3/8" too long which doesn't sound like much but it is the difference between two halves of a union sitting flush with one another versus angled, which will leak. I finally got that all worked out this morning and I added a second union above the return pump. In the end, I'd like to say it's better, and it will be for cleaning the pump, but I panicked when I glued the last of the pipe together and assembled it quickly for test fitting while the glue was still not set. It turns out that I didn't have the return pipe in the right position, it was angled more than I had planned for originally, so I cut the pipe to try to fix it before I realized my mistake. Measure twice, cut once, make sure every piece is marked and then trust yourself that you did it right.
I also had to take the bulkheads loose and reconfigure the emergency overflow 3D printed holder. there wasn't enough clearance between the 4" filter sock and the overflow to easily replace the sock. It was OK before and everything was marked, so I don't know what I did differently, but 6 hours of printing later, problem solved. I'm leak testing the overflow section again now and all is well so far.
I've also backed off the idea of using two sea swirls for returns. I'm just going to use one and then keep my two MP10's in the mix. I'll save the second one as a backup. Testing the one sea swirl with this size tank seems to be enough to cover the majority of the tank (90 degrees of movement) without shooting water directly into the overflow. This tank has to support SPS, LPS, and zoas / palys so I want some areas of the tank to have less flow than others. I'm going to pull my 40W UV sterilizer for now and leave it out of the system, the problem with it is that it's a little too oversized to allow for lower maintenance levels of UV treatment unless I routed the return line through the UV also. I didn't want that level of commitment with the older unit I have.
I'm going to apply a black vinyl static cling sticker to the back of the tank next instead of painting it. The goal is still to have the tank in place before the end of the day tomorrow, but still a long way to go including clearing my office out and breaking down the 40 gallon. My clowns are going to be upset because they just laid fresh eggs Thursday afternoon. I'm going to see if I can move them all to a 10 gallon temporarily to save the batch.