Dan's 210 Build

saltwaterwannabe

Active Member
Supporting
Zoa Contestant
Messages
677
Likes
41
Location
Canton
#21
I think that if my sea swirls are exposing the glass bottom of my tank in large arch shapes that I must have enough flow.
Guess I will be making some adjustments. I can actually adjust the 3 sea swirls and just about clean the sand off about 1/2 the tank bottom. Looks like I will be getting some flat locline nozles.
I have the pump throttled back quite a bit still, it looks like I will be changing out the impeller to conserve energy too.
 

Attachments

saltwaterwannabe

Active Member
Supporting
Zoa Contestant
Messages
677
Likes
41
Location
Canton
#23
Update with a little coral. The lights have been in night mode for a couple hours and I just cranked up the lights a few minutes ago so a lot of coral is still closed up.
15427763744825711285542183116540.jpg
I plan to build one more rock structure near the back middle with a ledge to the right hand structure to cover the glass patch near the overflow - then place the rest of the coral. I am contemplating just leaving the glass patch exposed and seeding it with coraline or attaching some palys to the back wall. The seaswirl attachments will be changed out for smaller less conspicuous black fittings.

I have been through half the 3 month qt period I set out for. With coral and light in the tank, it makes me think about a shorter qt period. I did change up my qt strategy after losing a couple of fish quite early in the qt period. I have lost a total of 5 fish out of 30. I still have 4 isolated qt systems going and I have been doing extra wc's on my main system, using dt water for the qt wc. The wc are almost painless now with some help of a hose and dedicated drain, but it would be nice to get everything into the dt.

All fish in qt have been through a week round of dewormer food (Dr G's) followed by a round of anti fungal food (also Dr G's) I also ran prazipro for a couple weeks. I am thinking of repeating the medicated food for a few days then moving the fish over by the end of this weekend. After a huge loss of fish, I am a bit leary of moving everything from qt, but I am also anxious at the same time qnd my family keeps asking. So...I will provide a bit of info and ask for some diverse opinions.

I have a 240 watt (yes, classic uv 240 watt on 660 gallons of water. 210+
+140+60+30+120) I have not yet measured the flow, but the duckbill nosles on the 3 sea swirls are moving the sand around very gently accross most of the tank bottom. I am estimating about 4000 gph, nearly 20x flow through the dt an hour based on the pump head chart. I have a pitot tube guage I plan to attach this weekend to verify the flow. The only flow bypassing the uv is going to my 60 gallon fuge and 30 gallon frag tank. The plan os to be able to kick the @@@@ out of any parasites that make it to the water column.

With that saod, would 45 days qt having ran throuh medicated food be enough time?
 

saltwaterwannabe

Active Member
Supporting
Zoa Contestant
Messages
677
Likes
41
Location
Canton
#28
Happy holidays! :)
What kind of fish did you get ?
Powder brown
Naso (could not find a blonde)
Naso 2 (thought it was a blonde...will return or fatten to sell)
Longnose hawk
2 frostbite clowns
Flasher wrasse
Neon dottyback
Purple dottyback
Copperbamd butterfly (replaces lost one)
3 cleaner wrasses (1 jumped from bucket)
Coral beauty angel(replaces lost one)
2 mandarins
 

saltwaterwannabe

Active Member
Supporting
Zoa Contestant
Messages
677
Likes
41
Location
Canton
#31
All fish aok atm. I lost one of the nasos a few days ago, so I am actually glad I got two. I think the powder brown got him.

I had a scare tonight with my blue regal tang. It looked to be covered in ich on one side, but on closer inspection it was microbubbles. One of the 2 two inch pipes from my basement 240 to the sump is partly blocked, causing an overflow a couple nights ago that lowered the water enough to start throwing bubblues up to the main floor dt.

I tried a few unsuccessful methods to clear the blockage but in the end chose to dial the flow back a bit and wait to dissasemble the plumbing when I relocate the 240, hopefully after Christmas.

At the same time, my skimmer is apparently overskimming so I am back to adjusting it again. I removed the homemade skimate locker with float switch shutoff a week ago since it was generating quite an odor. I programmed my Apex to turn off the skimmer if the ato runs for 15 minutes and not to turn it back on until the ato stops running for 15 minutes, which helps but does not sokve the issue. It is clear the ato and skimmer are now working together to lower my salinity and can draw the water level low enough that an old sock can backup enough water to lower the sump level...again causing bubbles and not likely great for the hammerhead pump. I plan to build a better locker soon and have everything I need. Maybe this weekend...

My list of stuff to tweak and build is 24 tasks over an hour or 2 each and growing...lol. it is fun, just time consuming. The family has been great at putting up with it, but I will be taking it slow over Christmas so I can focus on family.

I plan to focus any reef efforts tasks that reduce maintemance and improve wq first but it is so easy to get sidetracked
 
Top