Matrix - Nitrate Removal Rate

jmaneyapanda

Active Member
Sponsor
Messages
3,427
Reaction score
2
Ripped Tide;818127 wrote: Jeremy, can you share what application has worked best for you?
Schwaggs;818266 wrote: Jeremy, and how did you use it (in a bag, in a reactor, etc)?

Sorry for the delay in response. I have the luxury of using it in the finest device that it can be used for. The MRC bio sump. HOWEVER.... I also use it in media reactors. Getting appropriate flow THROUGH it is the key, IMO. SO active flowthrough rather than passive.


MorganAtlanta;818334 wrote: Do you have to rinse it periodically or anything, or just let it go?
mysterybox;818338 wrote: Yes, rinse....monthly...?
I disagree, the water should be prefiltered before hitting it, ideally. IMO, the more you disturb the matrix, the less effective it becomes. However, you will need to prevent detritus and debris from gathering and accumulating in it. If it does, cleaning may be in order. However, in absence of that, let it be, IMO.
 

ralph atl

Active Member
Market
Messages
6,671
Reaction score
0
mysterybox;818338 wrote: Yes, rinse....monthly...?
jmaneyapanda;818624 wrote:





I disagree, the water should be prefiltered before hitting it, ideally. IMO, the more you disturb the matrix, the less effective it becomes. However, you will need to prevent detritus and debris from gathering and accumulating in it. If it does, cleaning may be in order. However, in absence of that, let it be, IMO.


Yup, in my reactor I had some buildup of detritus, so I rinsed it in a water change. I also found that a small "rock" was stuck front of the exit, causing a slower stream.
 

schwaggs

Well-Known Member
Supporting
Messages
1,522
Reaction score
108
Jeremy, and how did you use it (in a bag, in a reactor, etc)?
 

jmaneyapanda

Active Member
Sponsor
Messages
3,427
Reaction score
2
cdavidson;817905 wrote: I am interested in knowing if Seachem or anyone has any data on the removal rate of nitrates when using Matrix. A few weeks ago I picked up 1L of Matrix and put 2/3 L in the canister filter on my 55 gallon and 1/3 L in the canister filter on my 20 gallon, so I should be starting to see the effects. Has anyone taken a controlled tank and measured the reduction? Maybe two tanks with no bioload, one with Matrix and one without. I have not seen a Seachem published value of nitrate reduction (ppm/day) or a value determined by anyone. I wont be removing my Matrix, I am just interested in knowing how much it is helping.
The matrix relies on providing a suitable environment for the nitrate consuming anaerobic bacteria to grow. It does not "react" with nitrate in any way. So I doubt you'll find any good data on it. There are a LOT of variables into it, such as flow, oxygenation, temperature, etc etc etc.

For what it's worth, I have used it, and have had remarkable reduction in nitrates on multiple systems. I dont know that Id run a system with it now.
 

cdavidson

Member
Market
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
I understand that it is inert and relies on conditions being present for nitrate consuming bacteria to live. While it is a multivariate problem, that doesn't make it impossible to control in a lab and get results. I will look at any data and as long as there assumptions, controls and methodology are fine, the data will give you an idea of how much it can remove. Many people have had good results with it and I hope I do as well. Just interested in what I should expect. Can you give an estimate of nitrate reduction for yourself? If you did a nitrate test before each water change how much loser were they when using Matrix.
 

bruce 1

Member
Market
Messages
608
Reaction score
0
jmaneyapanda;817942 wrote: The matrix
For what it's worth, I have used it, and have had remarkable reduction in nitrates on multiple systems. I dont know that Id run a system with it now.

Why? I was going to set me up a reactor tomorrow for this so why would you not use it?
 

cdavidson

Member
Market
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
bruce 1;817986 wrote: Why? I was going to set me up a reactor tomorrow for this so why would you not use it?
Based on his review, I wonder if he meant "I wouldnt run a system without it"...
 

jmaneyapanda

Active Member
Sponsor
Messages
3,427
Reaction score
2
cdavidson;817990 wrote: Based on his review, I wonder if he meant "I wouldnt run a system without it"...
Oops sorry. Typo. You got it correct what I meant.

Also, I've used it in a bunch of setup, but in one problematic, I went from off the charts to undetectable in about 45 days (in recollection)
 

cdavidson

Member
Market
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
I am interested in knowing if Seachem or anyone has any data on the removal rate of nitrates when using Matrix. A few weeks ago I picked up 1L of Matrix and put 2/3 L in the canister filter on my 55 gallon and 1/3 L in the canister filter on my 20 gallon, so I should be starting to see the effects. Has anyone taken a controlled tank and measured the reduction? Maybe two tanks with no bioload, one with Matrix and one without. I have not seen a Seachem published value of nitrate reduction (ppm/day) or a value determined by anyone. I wont be removing my Matrix, I am just interested in knowing how much it is helping.
 
Top