Tennis ball size of chaeto

Rainblood

Supporting
Reaction score
My phosban chaeto reactor is full...I’m going to take out about half if anyone needs some. Probably the size of a tennis ball.
Nothing is ever 100% but it’s virtually pest free - good and bad. I have a small tank and dip everything.

3D8460FE-ACB8-4608-A9D7-3BE831645178.jpeg

Chanceroberts

Reaction score
Where are you located at? I have a newly set up tank that I believe should be okay to go ahead and get cheato for if you’re cool with helping me out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZapataInc

Member Coordinator
Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
Where are you located at? I have a newly set up tank that I believe should be okay to go ahead and get cheato for if you’re cool with helping me out

How long have you had your tank setup? I only ask to caution you on running a refugium to early in the life of your tank. I did this and many others and we have battled Dinos or are still battling dinos.

Chanceroberts

Reaction score
Oh yikes. I thought the whole purpose of cheato was to prevent stuff like that from happening? This will be my first reef tank and it’s been cycling about a week so it probably is too early based on your reply lol

kullas

Supporting
Reaction score
Early in the reef tank the nutrients are low to begin with and adding chaeto to early only makes the problem worse by stripping what nutrients are there out. Hold off on chaeto until you start having a problem with nitrates and phosphate then add chaeto. When you are ready for chaeto all you got to do ask as everyone that has it has a over abundance of it and if they dont just give it a couple weeks :)

ZapataInc

Member Coordinator
Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
Oh yikes. I thought the whole purpose of cheato was to prevent stuff like that from happening? This will be my first reef tank and it’s been cycling about a week so it probably is too early based on your reply lol

Yeah I does in an established system. Take a look at this video from BRS.

ZapataInc

Member Coordinator
Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score

Also welcome to ARC and to the community of spending way to much than you want too. Lol

Chanceroberts

Reaction score
Haha thanks for the welcome lol. And okay yeah that all makes sense and I had actually watched that video before but I forgot or just skipped the part about the nutrients not being there. I guess I’ll wait a couple weeks to months. Thanks guys

Rainblood

Supporting
Reaction score
Yes, you should probably wait. This was my second round of chaeto...I added the first too early and it created a nutrient bomb when it all died.

ZapataInc

Member Coordinator
Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
Haha thanks for the welcome lol. And okay yeah that all makes sense and I had actually watched that video before but I forgot or just skipped the part about the nutrients not being there. I guess I’ll wait a couple weeks to months. Thanks guys

Also don't hesitate to ask any and all of your questions. Here in ARC we have a great community of people that want everyone to thrive in this hobby.