WTB controller/monitor

Westillmad

Reaction score
I have an old digital aquatics reef keeper lite that apparently is extinct now. I want to monitor ph, temp, and salinity. What do you guys have or recommend without braking the bank?

lmm1967

Market
Reaction score
I have an old digital aquatics reef keeper lite that apparently is extinct now. I want to monitor ph, temp, and salinity. What do you guys have or recommend without braking the bank?
"bank" is different for different people - what are you comfortable with?

I'm currently doing all of the following.....

2 tanks run with a full Apex with a handful of xtra modules
3 tanks run by GHL Profilux 4 with expansion box
1 setup run with pretty much no controller (I am using smart power strips and Alexa for some stuff)

The top one can be done for under $1000 no problem (brand new)
Middle one (GHL) will be more than that (brand new - GHL stuff hard to come by used sometimes)
Bottom one - $100 (Alexa enabled power strips are less than $50 each - plus an Amazon dot if you don't have one).
I'm about to have Reef-PI running on a Raspberry PI Zero W taking over some stuff.

There are distinct advantages to each way - let us know what your goals are - $$ and capabilities - and several folks here can probably give you some pointers.

Westillmad

Reaction score
This is a fish only set up. I mostly want to monitor the normal temp, ph and salinity. I'm not so concerned with lighting or pump controls. I have ecotech radions, mp40s, and return pump that I can control by phone. I do want the safety of it turning the outlet to the heater off if a malfunction happens.

lmm1967

Market
Reaction score
Salinity - this is just my experience and opinion - you wont' be able to reliably monitor salinity for very long with the equipment available to hobbyists. You can get crazy scientific grade stuff that probably costs way more than we would expect - but the Apex, GHL etc probes just aren't reliable.

Again - that's my opinion and experience.

Temp / PH - monitor & control a heater - go with the Apex EL - you can pick them up used here and there -new they are $500

Or - if you are handy just a little - Reef-Pi is an option. Look for the threads in DIY at reef2reef forums

The GHL's Profilux mini wifi would be an option as well - its under $400 - GHL is a little more "odd" to set up, but (again - this is just my opinion) probably slightly more reliable than the Neptune stuff.

bigd

Supporting
Reaction score
Another option, if you have a wired ethernet connection close to your tank, you could go for an older model Apex or Apex Lite. You'd have to add a gaming adapter if you wanted wifi though.

D

Westillmad

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I forgot I had a da reef keeper elite. it works but again, I would have to replace all the probes. any chance on finding probe replacements? bhodges82- have you used the seneye reef? I looked into the apex el, just not sure I want to spend that much unless I can find one used. The $500 isn't so bad, its the added money to get the salinity function. I figured by now they would have come out with a decent salinity probe. Is the consensus to stay away from them?

rexx1029

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I forgot I had a da reef keeper elite. it works but again, I would have to replace all the probes. any chance on finding probe replacements? bhodges82- have you used the seneye reef? I looked into the apex el, just not sure I want to spend that much unless I can find one used. The $500 isn't so bad, its the added money to get the salinity function. I figured by now they would have come out with a decent salinity probe. Is the consensus to stay away from them?
I may have a couple of probes for the reef keeper and think I know where I can pick up a brand new ph probe for reef keeper and I also have a few parts for reef keeper. Shoot me a text at 678-628-6818 anytime