6 feet aquarium stand design feed back

grouper therapy

Supporting
Reaction score
This is a stand /cabinet system I am about to build for a friend . I want you guys honest feed back on the design. Proportions, lines and so forth. The picture may not illustrate it well but the columns flaking either side are actually half round reeding. Honest feed back only.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

Knowing and seeing your skills I think that it will be awesome!! Must put up build picks.

How tall will the space above the tank be? Reef or fowlr setup?

It would be cool to have the top center section come out on rails for lighting changes and such. :)

Reef tank. Here are the dimensions.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

That looks like it is going to turn out very nice. What kind of build time are you thinking and with what material?

I fabricate my own doors and apply a 5 coat conversion varnish finish so probably 80- 100 hrs installed. Either American cherry or African mahogany . My friend has the tank up and running now on a old stand of which I am going to strip down to the supporting members and apply this around it so we don't have to tear his tank down.

that is going to look awesome, chop off the right side and that is what mine is supposed to look like, although my skills are not quite that good.

What about elevating the center (canopy) 6" or so? To me, it justs looks like it has too many even lines.

MvM;460394 wrote: What about elevating the center (canopy) 6" or so? To me, it justs looks like it has too many even lines.

Good Idea! I will modify the drawing and post it again.

grouper therapy;460432 wrote: Thanks for the input guys.

One day I hope to see your shop. From what I have seen, you are gifted and your work reflects it!

How deep is the stand? Will the tank stick out from the cabinets? I think it would look great if there was still a foot or so of visibility from the sides, esp with those columns at the ends.

grouper therapy;460415 wrote: modified center lifted

Looks familiar ;)

When I built mine I originally had cabinet doors on the top sides too, like you have yours drawn, but I decided it looked to "blocky" so I went with open bookshelves up top instead of doors.

FTS-20090509.jpg
alt="" />

The think I like is all of the drawers and cabinets. Could go open to make bookshelves but I really like the storage capabilities. Functional and nice is a great combination.

We plan on housing ro unit,fresh water and new saltwater tanks in the side. A chiller will be housed in a lower unit with special consideration given to ventilation. The sides of the aquarium will not be visible as my goal was to give the appearance of a built in unit and keep it mobile as well. The unit will be made in 7 pieces so that it can be disassembled rather easy. My friend is an apartment dweller so that was important to him.

Back