Added Soda Ash to raise my alk and PH shot up

huskerreefatl

Market
Reaction score
Hey all,
I just added some BRS Soda Ash to bump up my alk and then noticed that my ph jumped to 8.6. Should I be concerned or will it go down after it all settles in?

Thanks

How much were you trying to raise your alk? BRS recommend a certain amount per day. I think it is 1dkh. I presume the limitation is partly because of the short term effects on PH.

I was raising it from 7 to 9 ish...I actually went light on the amount recommended by the BRS calculator with the intent to measure again tomorrow and add more if needed. And you are right, i just went back to the BRS calculator and it does say that it will temporarily raise the PH. It has already dropped a bit.

It will go back down. Soda ash, baked baking soda, will do that. If you are trying to raise just your alk, use baking soda
index.php

Back at 8.2 now.....that worried me for a bit. I will make sure to not add as much next time and do it in the evening

thanks for the link, HiImSean. I have read that article in that past and it is a great reference. I was actually raising all 3, ca, alk, and mg and added some of each. I have been using the mixes from BRS but if I get to the point that I need to raise more or dose more to maintain, I will definitely go the route of this article.

Back