Aiptasia on some frags

tonytran509

Reaction score
So I just saw some aiptasia on a few zoa frags... its like one or two on a few of them and they are like in between heads.... so whats the best way to go at this to get them out... i know im not suppose to pick at them.... please let me know thank you

Peppermint shrimp if you don't want to chemically treat. They are hit and miss though. I think I read in another post, injecting them with Lemon juice. I don't know if anyone else can verify that.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Pull frags from system irritate the polyps to get them to close and use a razor between the polyps. Slice it up, rinse repeatedly in tank water. I also use a cheap toothbrush to help clean off any aiptasia residue. Some time the toothbrush by itself can do the trick. Especially if it is on the plug.

Another trick is sometimes if the zoas are on rubble then glued to plug the aiptasia is actually between the rubble and plug. Pop the rubble off or the plug. Then you will have access to aiptasia. Or another way is to put super glue gel on aiptasia.

Pull frags from system irritate the polyps to get them to close and use a razor between the polyps. Slice it up, rinse repeatedly in tank water. I also use a cheap toothbrush to help clean off any aiptasia residue. Some time the toothbrush by itself can do the trick. Especially if it is on the plug.

yea the aiptasia is in between the heads so i guess ill try to get a blade in there to cut it up and rinse it outside... ive heard about super glue trick never done that and im not sure how affective it is compared to everythign else

Ive used joes juice on aptasia in zoa colonies. Just turn off all pumps and squirt it into the mouth and its done. Turn pumps back on after a few minutes and it blows all the excess off the zoas. Never had any problems

I move frags to tank with peppermint shrimp. Like you I have a fish that will eat shrimp. Aptasia on rock APTASIA X. Then I move back. Only takes a day for my peppermint shrimp to eat aptasia, but they are hit or miss. I’ve had some that wouldn’t eat it. Even tried Filefish.

Will hydrogen peroxide kill aiptasia? I always dip my zoas in a 50/50 h2o2 & tank water to kill off algae on the plug.

Yep. Also straight vinegar. I loaded up a syringe and just shoot it in the aiptasia's mouth.

Now I have a CBB that eats all these buggers... except for this one that is super sneaky and retracts into a hole.

Back