Anemone - cut now or let heal?

camellia

Supporting
Reaction score
I finally got my anemone off the rock last night, I'm wanting to quarter it because it's way to big for my tank.
It was on a large rock, I had the rock hanging over a bucket with the Nem's tentacles touching the water. Evidently it's weight tore it's foot.

The container I put it in last night was fine but this morning it was pretty cramped.

DFA3A5FE-1EA7-44D4-8476-24DC5A978251_zpsn0uoc8mc.jpg
alt="" />

I've removed everything in QT and decided to let it out of the box, it's to small.

B2825844-A957-4000-88A2-3FC12B32860D_zpswov4areh.jpg
alt="" />

So my question is, should I allow it's foot to heal before quartering it? I almost feel like I should cut it now rather than stressing it out again in a few days?

F9C692E1-83F3-4246-8ADA-1538E6E4D642_zpsjrkql8bc.jpg
alt="" />

Please explain the reason for your decision.

Thanks

if your qt is bare bottom then id say let it heal over a week or two and then cut it. just my opinion but i think cutting it while its injured could further weaken its immune system (nems have those right?) and make it more susceptible to infection and death. if you cut it when you know its in good shape then it has a better chance of surviving the cut again thats just an opinion.

I would cut it, just what I would do, my reason being that you could probably cut at the wound site and it would heal as it reforms, it's filling up, and it looks good considering, I would, however, only cut it in half and not quarters

Jeez, two good answers both with valid points.
It's crazy how much better the foot looked tonight. These guys are so rezelent, at least this one, lol. It's had its share of drama and trauma.

Hum, it is a BB QT and it's happy in the open box. The tear is so small in perspective to the size of its foot. It's maybe 1/10th of the foot! It's in one of those PetCo breeder boxes. I don't want 1/2 this jewel, it's to big for my tank.

Guess I'll let it heal a few more days for a shot at 1/3 or 1/4's. Makes sense, they heal so fast.

I'm going to try to cut exactly down the middle. If successful I'll cut it again down the middle. If I screw up, I'll stop so that at least I'll have her. My clowns are so freaked out without it!

One is spoken for already but I'm confident I'll have two more available very soon :)

It's got beautiful color, bright pink, green and blue. LMK if interested.

Thanks guys!

I'd do pretty much what you've decided on... cut the current one in half & allow it to heal, then cut your remaining clone in half again. Mainly to get it back down to the size you want in your system.

Back