Background suggestions for a new tank

dball711

Supporting
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I have been working on my latest project tank, it’s a 75 gal all-in-one. Almost ready to set it on the stand and start filling it with water and the more I look at it I have decided I need to do something with the back glass…I need a background.

So I am curious to hear what others have done or prefer, no background just coralline, blue, black or something like an underwater scene. My tank is a Deep Blue 75g so it has black silicone and a black acrylic spill over/false wall.

What do you think, please post some pictures and share your thoughts.

Blue or black is the norm. I cut up a Salvidor Dali poster and did that as the background for one of my freshwater tanks in high school. Hard to go cheesey when you have so much $ in a reef tank though.

I'm starting to see a trend...then again I'd like to see a pictuer of the Salvidor Dali poster.

This was before the digital camera, so I would have to take a trip in the way back machine. It was this poster though
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
914469=50057-pic27.jpg
>
914469=50057-pic27.jpg
class="gc-images" title="pic27.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I usually paint mine black. Really doesn't mater what finish you get (satin, flat or gloss). They all look glossy through the glass.

I've done a couple different backgrounds ... blue, blue with dark blue splotches and black. Never went as far as the Dali print though. Black (background) on black (silicone/overflow) is what I ended up liking the best and on my current DT. Sounds like the same color combo as you.

Ringo®;914469 wrote: This was before the digital camera, so I would have to take a trip in the way back machine. It was this poster though

This reminds me of a trip I once took...

I have done both blue and black on my freshwater and prefer black by far. I joined here as im going to build a 60g cube and it will be black as well. If you cant bring yourself to paint the tank what I used to do was cut 1/4" foam board or craft board to fit back of tank. Paint it the color of choice and test drive it.

Thanks to everyone for chiming in with suggestions. After placing the rock work in front of a blue and black backgrounds, I have decided to go with Black. Black really makes things pop.

I was actually thinking about PMing you earlier to see if you had enough black acrylic left over to do an in-tank black background for my 60 cube. The back is blue but needs to be scraped and repainted which is going to be a PITA. When we painted my brother's big tank it peeled off easily. Not going to be the case with this one. I could use some sort of solvent, but the paint goes all the way down to the silicone at the bottom trim. So I would have to to that part by blade anyway, despite the risk of solvent running down there and damaging the silicone.

However, I hesitated because I might be putting the 60 cube on hold anyway with my most recent purchase. Its a huge maxima and I would like to be able to view it top down. But the custom stand I have being built is interchangeable for either tank, just way to tall to ever view top down with the 60.

My other stand (you know the one) needs some attention bad. I got to the point where I had to make a decision- rip off the top trim and re-do it, or finish as is. The problem being that it now fits through an exterior door but not through an interior door frame. Im okay letting that project sit though because i decided either way that stand will be for the second of the two tanks that I set up.

I ditched my chinese LEDs and am going 400w radium. I may use the kessil as well if I can make that work as well, but I want the MH over my clams. I may just have to go MH over the shallow, and deal with having a kessil that I'm not using for a while *sigh*

By the way, how's that mushroom doing? It didn't look so good, if it let go, got lost on the back of your rocks, or whatever, I'll replace it no problem.

Hey Josh, it&#8217;s always an interesting read to catch up with you. The mushroom is fine I just can&#8217;t get him to attach to a rock, he is in a Tupperware with several chunks of rock and he really likes the slick sides of the Tupperware. He'll be fine and thanks for asking.

I&#8217;m not surprised to hear you are going with MH, I was thinking about LED for the new tank but decided to go T-5. I have a nice ATI Sun Power unit so I just need to get some new bulbs and it&#8217;s good to go.

Let me know if you want a chunk of the black acrylic, someone else was asking about it but never got back to me. How is the clam, did you post a picture yet?

I really just can't make up my mind with these tanks and stands can I? I'll have to make a decision one way or the other soon enough.

The clam is doing well, although I think it may be trying to tell me something. I've just got some photos uploaded and I'll have a thread up on that in a moment.

There is a certain relief when you decide to go T5 or MH (actual full spectrum) over LED. Not so much to worry about, except bulbs. I think it's worth the peace of mind.

Back