best bulb for your $

jwils27

Supporting
Reaction score
i am replacing my mogal base bulb. wanted to get an opinion on the best bulb for the dollar. I am thinking a hamilton 14K or a ushio 20k from aquabuys just wanted to get the experianced reefers opinions.

Do NOT buy a Hamilton 14k or 20k. They have the worst PAR to watt average I've ever tested. The Hamilton 10ks are great. Anything higher than that and you're wasting your money.

I haven't tested mogul ushio 20ks, so I can't give you an opinion on that one. I know the brand has a great name, though.

It's hard for me to make a great mogul reccomendation, as unless I'm going over 400w, I always use HQI. However, I REALLY like the HQI Aquamedic 20k bulbs. They're not the super deep blue you expect from a 20k, rather, a crisp white you'd expect from a 10k halide and PC actinic blend.

Also check out XM bulbs. I've heard good things about their moguls, but can't offer an opinion otherwise. Lighting is a hot topic. You should get plenty of suggestions by the end of the day.

Ive always used 250 watt 10k Ushio bulbs with great sucess. However, I just switched to XM 10k a few weeks ago and really like what Im seeing. I did a lot of research and found a lot of recommendations for them, the color is much nicer too (to my eyes). At this point Id recommend either. Also, I hate to do this to the sponsors but I would recommend Hellolights. Ive had some awesome service from them.

XM is a great bulb. The 10k has a nice white color. If you are using 400w and wanting a little more blue, get the ushio 14K from Sammy. I have then on mine and they look great.

at 250w, the 10k's are going to have the best par. The XM 10K is going to be the best bang for your buck. 20K bulbs just wont have enough par.

If you're ever in the area, stop by and I can show you what one looks like in a tank.

im thinking the 15k to have a good balance of blue and white

The XM 15k has a very low par. The XM 20k has better par than the XM 15k.

agree with Raj here...
XM 10K bulbs are AWESOME when it comes to PAR output and color... the XM 15Ks are a waste of money (speaking from experience on both of these bulbs)

I had the XM 15k's also, I agree they are crap the 10's and 20's are great though.

I use 175 watt bulbs and just got the Iwasaki 15k's they are amazing with par ratings matching a lot of 250w bulbs with great color. Kinda pricey at 72.99 each on sale but worth it IMO.

Skriz;95127 wrote: XM is a great bulb. The 10k has a nice white color. If you are using 400w and wanting a little more blue, get the ushio 14K from Sammy. I have then on mine and they look great.

See the XM 10K 175W in my tank is REALLY Yellow!!!

i have a hqi 250 usio 20 k and i love it its not to blue and not yellow at all you can ask brandon who came to my house and saw them i like the colors i get out of them

over all i would like a god amount of blue but i don't wan't my tank to have min growth. will i get good growth with the 20k XM's

Allot of people like the look of a CoralVue Reflux 12k and they have good Par ratings in the 250w. May want to take a look.

BTW you can look at this site to do some research b4 you buy.

a>

if it have amazing par, it's going to be somewhat yellow IMO. it all depends on what you want to accomplish. I use 6.5k looking bulbs with like 2130o94u425 par rating, but does not accomplish anything in groth or color over the 20k bulbs. Use the XM 20k if you have a/pair of magnetic ballast to get good looks and good color + awesome growth, you will not like the XM 10k's because it really do look like Ushio 6.5K bulbs... Bright, but not pretty.

i am going to go with the XM 20k that seems to be the best choice for me thanks for all the help everyone

Depends on the color you like in the tank. Assuming you have 250w Icecap ballasts moguls and speaking from my personal experience:

Clear winners in their category
6500k Iwasaki is awesome
10000K can't beat XMs... good PAR great value

Around 14000k gets into preference real quick:
14000k Hamilton have OK PAR, nice color and cheap (supposedly overhauld their bulbs within the last year)
14000k Ushio better than Hamiltons, PAR better, brighter
14000k Phoenix similar to Ushio
14500k Giesemann are excellent but very expensive

20000k IMO Radium. They look fantastic and they output a good PAR for a 20k. That said 20k bulbs in general don't throw much PAR so you can go pretty much with what you think looks best.

Back