Bug ID Info?

hn1

Market
Reaction score
Sorry for the pic quality, but it's the best I can get. These are all around 1mm long, have 12ish legs, antenna, and crawl around the glass. I can't seem to find any pics close online and was hoping you could help out. What are they? Are they harmful? How to get rid of? Etc....

DSC_0227.jpg
alt="" />

Flesh eating crustraceans of some sort. Pour bleach in the tank... J/k :).

Those are pods. A mixture of copepods and possibly amphipods. They are benefitial!

Cool! Thanks! They look alot different than the pods I first had. Maybe that's why my Yasha is getting so fat.... :D

DrNecropolis;283018 wrote: Just make sure you dont ever see any of these little nasties!!

cirolanid_isopod_tb.jpg
alt="" />

And that is?

I had those in my 10g before I moved everything to the 40 breeder, now I am just waiting for the population to restore where it was. I had them everywhere, it was scary.

Cirolanid isopod... They are know to burrow into fish... Not really a parasite... More of a predator.. I was reading a story about them, This professor had removed a 3cm one from a fish and handed it to his assistant which was holding it in her bare hand.. It started eating its way into her hand... had to remove it with forceps..

o cool, i woulda lover to have seen that, almost like the Scarab beetle off of the Mummy :) my favorite scene

but thats a mean little bugger then. thanks for the heads up

The OP pics are good pods. That's the kind of natural food that your fish will thrive on.

Cool! :) I only have one fish (20G), but haved toyed with the idea of adding a fairy (Carpenter's) wrasse since I set it up, but I think that might push things.

If you have a fuge or anything that you could "salvage" some from, I would love to offer them to my 90. Mine are eaten so fast, I could really use a refresh! Let me know!

U can pour bleach into you're tank?! Imma tell my local petco to do it, anything to help out their fish!

Back