Cutting out Aptasia

jdabs

Market
Reaction score
So, I'm trying to get rid of some aptasia and I was wondering if cutting them out would release any harmful toxins or anything else that could cause issues with the tank. Let me know. Thanks!

It will cause them to spread. Have you tried, heard of kalk paste?

Well, I am not an expert but here is what I do </em>know...

It does not die easily
Realistically, it does not die at all
If you cut it, the frags can reroot and spread...like crazy
It can be burned out but that is a bit dangerous...I forget the name of the chemical but it's in many drain openers.
Many of the Aptasia eliminating kits do not work. Some do like Joes Juice but there are no guarantees.
Lemon juice is used by injecting it into the mouth.
A true peppermint shrimp will eat aptasia....

Hope some of this helps.

MvM;277309 wrote: It will cause them to spread. Have you tried, heard of kalk paste?

I've heard about it but don't know much about it. I'm pretty new to this whole thing. :) I cut one out already and by taking the rock out of the water and then cutting the whole body off the rock and disposing of it. But I figured I'd better ask someone who knows more than me before I continued.

coolsurf;277312 wrote: Well, I am not an expert but here is what I do </em>know...

It does not die easily
Realistically, it does not die at all
If you cut it, the frags can reroot and spread...like crazy
It can be burned out but that is a bit dangerous...I forget the name of the chemical but it's in many drain openers.
Many of the Aptasia eliminating kits do not work. Some do like Joes Juice but there are no guarantees.
Lemon juice is used by injecting it into the mouth.
A true peppermint shrimp will eat aptasia....

Hope some of this helps.

Thanks CoolSurf! I was thinking about trying the lemon juice trick. I have a peppermint but doesn't seem like he's really doing anything. I rarely see him. Maybe he's not a true peppermint?

Can I shoot them with the lemon juice straight in the tank or do I need to take the rock out and do it?

It is possible he is not. Good luck with the lemon juice but make sure you watch your Ph...remember you are using an acidic liquid so you may have to buffer when done. You can use a syringe and inject straight into the stalk...that should do the best job.

Lemon juice is the first try.
Then go to products such as Joe's Juice or Aptasia X
If that doesn't work take the rock out and burn the SOB up. Buring has always worked for me.

If you do do the burning, after you're done scrape the remains of the aptasia off with a razor blade.

just use lime water (kalkwasser). Go to kroger in their picnic section & buy Mrs. Wages Pickling lime. make a paste in the consistency of was-obi sauce. Use a plastic syringe, cover Ap completely.

Please...may I make a recommendation since by your own admission you are new to this?

Go to the LFS and buy a bottle of Joe's Juice. Yes it's Kalk but it's mixed by people who know how much to mix and it works.

Joes Juice didnt work for me, super hot lemon juice did though just ran super hot water over the syringe right before i injected the little punks

Or you could bring some pieces by my place and I'll have them completely cleaned off in a few days thanks to my copperband.

actually peppermint shrimp DO NOT eat aptasia, they steal all of their food and the aptasia starve to death

A true peppermint will eat aptasia. I heard the old 'wives tale" of they will starve but it is just that. Aptasia have plenty to eat.

Thanks for all of the great input everyone! I don't have too bad of an infestation, but I want to make sure that they don't get out of hand. I'll work through some of the techniques and let everyone know what worked best! Thanks again!

Kalk paste works best for me. Unlike juice the paste will just stick to the aptasia and burn it down. Careful though as it can burn corals just as easily.

I use the Mrs wages pickeling lime from the grocery store...it works really well. I also have 1 peppermint shrimp in my tank that has done his job really well. :)

glxtrix;277483 wrote: Or you could bring some pieces by my place and I'll have them completely cleaned off in a few days thanks to my copperband.

can i just borrow your copperband? i will give him back

i have had much success with joe's juice, peppermint shrimp, and believe it or not, hot tap water seems to do the trick too.

Back