DIY internal tank plumbing for an xp4?

devest8r

Reaction score
I have a 72 AG bow front fowlr tank that I'm rebuilding rite now.. I'm using a filstar xp4 for this build.. I read on the Internet it's rated for aquariums up to 250gallons... and I was thinking since its a smaller aquarium that I could do a custom plumbing setup in the aquarium. Most of the plumbing will be hidden by rock and sand.. I want to try to plumb atleast four lock line returns randomly in the tank. Hoping this will also eliminate the use of power heads in the tank.. I'm prob gonna beef up the drain a bit too.. But my main concern is will this be to much for the filter/pump in the xp4? Any thoughts???

It's pushing less than 500 GPH. With the number of splits and elbows you need for this, your flow will be even less. IMHO, you will need additional water flow regardless of how you do it.

Many people shoot for a return that has a GPH of about 10x the tank volume and still add powerheads or closed loops.

There's a post some where on here that polled the members. Most people are at 10x the volume of the tank, and many are above 20x.

I see so the filter is doing all it can do straight out of the box.. Well guess I'll be reusing my power heads.. Thanks for the info!

Back