Does Anyone Remember Ashley's Pet Center in Dunwoody?

acroholic

Lifetime
Reaction score
Not too many people may remember this shop. It was located in the shopping center at the intersection of Chamblee-Dunwoody Road and Mt. Vernon Road. I am talking about the original shop, owned by two women, Pat and Letha. This store was, at one time, about the premier saltwater store in the entire city. I moved to Atlanta in 1991, and bought my first large tank, an Oceanic 135, in 1992 from Ashley's. They did dog grooming and fish, and their store was one of the cleanest and best equipped stores I had ever seen.

The store was sold a couple years later then went a multi year decline until it became a run down dump that finally closed it's doors several years ago.

Then the Fish Store 'n More was opened in 1992 by Al and David Levinson, who owned the Turtles record chain, and established another high end fish store for all us fish guys in the mid 1990s.

They were sold twice. They were at one point Georgia Pets and I'm drawing a blank on their other name. I grew up in Dunwoody and bought a lot of my first fish there.

The last owners bought the store two week before Petland Dunwoody opened up and closed about two years later. They were not aware of the opening. I started at Petland Dunwoody about a year after they opened.

The first owner was a man named Dick, and I think he kept the Ashley's name.
Dave

Back