Favorite things about night time viewing

lorenk

Market
Reaction score
I find that I spend more time watching my tank at night under the moonlights than I do during my lights on cycle. Maybe it's because the kids are in bed, but I see more action from my corals at night than during the daytime.

Some things I like:

- Moonlights make my zoas glow. Even the ones that close up, I'm surprised at the color variety of the closed zoas...purple, blue, yellow, etc. My favorites are the orange skirt zoas and ones with peach/orange centers. I wonder what other colored LEDs would do (red for example).

- The freaks come out at night. My fireshrimp spends all day back behind some rocks, the only time he comes out is at night. I finally caught a glimpse of my pom-pom crab. And there are some interesting worms poking around.

- LPS feeding. My favorite coral is my cynarina (button/donut coral). When it's happy, it drops it's bubble almost all the way down and has great tentacle reach. The candy canes are fun to watch as well. I'll be getting some more LPS this week (favia and chalice) and hope they'll be equally as entertaining.

- Sleep clowns. My clown snuggles down into his colony of polyps. My clown goby moved out last week and has taken resident to an acro frag. I know they don't really sleep, but they look so darn cute hiding in their corals.

Back