Filtration options

Jeremey’s reef

Reaction score
Are there any Clarisea filter roller users here? I’m considering this product as a upgrade for my sump but wanted to see if anyone could backup the claims of effectiveness. Does it work too well where as it effect water chemistry in a way that could strip beneficial particulates thus hindering coral growth? Is this method along with the proper sized skimmer sufficient or should a refugium be implemented in conjunction with both the skimmer and roller filter? How about those reactors?!!!! If you run reactors for GFO, Bio pellets, carbon or whatever do you still need a refugium? For instance if I were to go with the ClariSea roller filter, skimmer and reactors for GFO and carbon is a refugium still necessary? I’ll end with a request that you guys and gals post your combination of filtration and what you have tried in the past that made you settle on what exist within your system today. Thanks in advance, stay safe and happy reefing my friends

My tank is too new to be worrying about reactors, etc but so far I’m having success with just mechanical filtration (filter floss and one sock), a very small bag of carbon in one of the filter cups, matrix cubes in the refugium and a reef octopus 150 classic. 125g, 3 very small fish (2 clowns and a chromis), one smaller but not a baby hippo tange and one adult but not huge naso tang. Also have about 30 coral frags in there. All parameters are very stable so far.
temp-78.6, pH 8.1, specific gravity 1.025, nitrates 5ppm, phosphate .3 at last check
I just ordered some Macroalgae to plant in refugium but mostly to grow as tang food.

My tank is too new to be worrying about reactors, etc but so far I’m having success with just mechanical filtration (filter floss and one sock), a very small bag of carbon in one of the filter cups, matrix cubes in the refugium and a reef octopus 150 classic. 125g, 3 very small fish (2 clowns and a chromis), one smaller but not a baby hippo tange and one adult but not huge naso tang. Also have about 30 coral frags in there. All parameters are very stable so far.
temp-78.6, pH 8.1, specific gravity 1.025, nitrates 5ppm, phosphate .3 at last check
I just ordered some Macroalgae to plant in refugium but mostly to grow as tang food.
I don’t have much filtration at the moment on the filter socks, if I could get myself back to work I will add a skimmer. I only have three fish 2 clownfish and a clown tang

Back