Local place to get Nori?

maveri9720

Market
Reaction score
I just got a Foxface and am feeding him Nori algae that I bought from Petsmart.

I have read alot of people go to supermarkets or ethnic stores and buy the seaweed for a whole lot cheaper.

Has anyone done this and where did you get it at? I tried Publix near me, but they didn't have anything.

Just wondering if there were some local places that sold this stuff cheap.

Thanks.

Check out any asian grocery store. Its dirt cheap... and tasty :). I can rattle off a bunch of asian grocery stores in and around Atlanta, but I have no idea bout Dallas.... Go Cowboys!

<span style="color: black;">I got it from an Asian grocery store off of Buford Hwy just inside the perimeter. I have also picked it up at the Atlanta Farmers Market and I think I saw it at whole foods.</span>
<span style="color: black;"> </span>
<span style="color: black;">Be aware that there is regular and toasted nori in the stores. I think I read somewhere that the toasted stuff is somewhat less nutritious</span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"> </span></span>

Thanks for the help all. I heard there was a seasoned one you wanted to stay away from and just get the regular kind.

Blackwofl, what is Tomato and where along Cobb Parkway is it?

I'm looking for places in Cobb or Paulding Co's that I can visit and grab this stuff. Buford Hwy is a bit of a drive for me and might negate any savings I might get by driving all the way out there.

Thanks.

There's a http://www.yellowpages.com/sp/moreinfo/index.jsp?id=91835031&q=grocer">Grand Mart</a> on Spring Street just outside the Perimeter near Cobb Parkway that's a great Asian market.

You do want to stay way from anything that isn't just dried seaweed. No toasted, seasoned, or any other.

There's a relatively new one off Spring Street in Cobb. It's got a spanish name... Grand Mercado? It's a large spanish and asian market.

FutureInterest;30140 wrote: There's a relatively new one off Spring Street in Cobb. It's got a spanish name... Grand Mercado? It's a large spanish and asian market.
The one I linked shows (I think) an inaccurate location from what I recall. I think it's west of Campbell Road on the south side of Spring Street.

It's also Latino food, so we may be talking about the same place. It's about the same size as a mid-level Kroger.

I know of a couple of places over here in Marietta near where I work...

There is one off the lower 120 loop near 41, (across from Greyhound station) called "Dong Bang Grocery"... and then Tomatos is right at the corner of 41 and Windy Hill Road...

Super H Mart in Duluth is my Asian store for cheap food for me and my fish!! ;)

Frank;30165 wrote: and then Tomatos is right at the corner of 41 and Windy Hill Road...
Is that the strip mall with the Ru San? (North East corner of the intersection)

I just picked up some toasted seaweed today. Is that no good? Thats all I could find.

Nope... catty-wampus from there... over in the same strip mall as Boomers and the Medix school... just south of the Volvo dealership.

George;30210 wrote: Is that the strip mall with the Ru San? (North East corner of the intersection)

I make sushi on a regular basis, and thus had to find a cheap source for nori sheets. I finally ordered from http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com">http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com</a> and got it much cheaper than anywhere local - 50 sheet packs for less than than the local places sell for 8 sheets.

Anyway, I bought from [IMG]http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=1086">this page</a>, and got the first three items on the list. The red pack ended up being the best for sushi, and the blue pack nori tears a little too easily, so I feed that to my fish. They all taste the same to me.

At $4.48 per 50 sheets, you'll have a hard time beating the price. I'd suggest that you get a group together to place an order, since shipping will double the cost of just one pack...

izib;30217 wrote: I just picked up some toasted seaweed today. Is that no good? Thats all I could find.
As long as the ingredient list says "Dried Seaweed" and nothing else (preservatives, salt, etc), you should be good to go.

I went to Grand Mart for shopping yesterday and remembered to look at prices:

They have suitable large Nori sheets (the ones that are about 8"x8" or so) at $6.95 for 50 sheets and $9.95 for 100 sheets.

Back