mushroom with 2 mouths

dmahoney82

Market
Reaction score
I have a mushroom in my tank that has been growing with two mouths for quite some time. I'm at the point now where its now growing much larger and would like it to split so that it can spread. I read that i could cut it, but I wanted to make sure before i dive right in a F something up. Any feedback would be great.

Thanks,

Danny

You can cut it in half and it'll be fine. Mushrooms are very resilient. I've heard of people propagating them by chopping them up into tiny pieces and scattering them in their tanks.

Yes someone on reefrontiers tested that theory to the max and put some mushrooms in a blender and blended them up for a second then put them in his tank and in several months he had tiny mushrooms everywhere

This guy is is about to get hacked up in to seven or so pieces we'll see what happens

You should be good to go. I wacked up a red mushroom recently into 6 pieces and they all survived.

These mushrooms are amazing. It has only been around 8hrs and they already look like they are healing and are each forming an individual mushroom. Can I apply this same method to my ricordias???

dmahoney82;117551 wrote: These mushrooms are amazing. It has only been around 8hrs and they already look like they are healing and are each forming an individual mushroom. Can I apply this same method to my ricordias???

I'm told you can snip a ricordia about 4 times, making it look like it has 4 petals and those 4 petals will become 4 rics. Apparently this is often how ricordias divide in the wild: something will fall on them (rock, coral skeleton, etc.), and cause a cut. They just split and become more rics.

tnyga;117568 wrote: Makes me wanna cut up a shroom when I get home

Green Giant button and portabella 'shrooms don't divide well though

(darnit)

Linda Lee;117569 wrote: Green Giant button and portabella 'shrooms don't divide well though

(darnit)

But they taste good with some garlic and butter sauted over a plump ribeye done about med well with some big ole white onions done up with it....

8:56 and Im ready for foooooooood lol

tnyga;117574 wrote: But they taste good with some garlic and butter sauted over a plump ribeye done about med well with some big ole white onions done up with it....

8:56 and Im ready for foooooooood lol

Sounds good to me...I'll be right over! (Make mine med rare tho'!)

I've got a red 'shroom that I'm considering dividing....gotta work up the courage to do it.

Back