New option for alternating flow for your 1994 Closed loop guys.

FutureInterest

Market
Reaction score
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SQUID-WM1&Category_Code=Wavemaking">The SCWD.</a> Yah everyone knows about the scwd, but now its 1" input and outputs. In addition its threaded, which is a plus and the top is removable so it can be cleaned. The worst part of the SCWD before was cleaning them was impossible and in the marine environment that means it'll stop working sooner or later... It seems to be able to handle a lot more flow now as well.

So it seems to be a cheap, viable alternative to an OM device.

First I preface this by saying that I do not have first hand experience with these, but I read some where that besides the problems mentioned with the old (smaller) SCWD, was that it clicked. Apparently it clicked loudly enough that some people decided to remove them from their systems... I'd love to hear if others here have had this problem...

I have used one of the older SCWD on my 30 Cube and it worked flawlessly. But With this new design it should be much better. I don't see paying that much for the new one though..definitely pricey for a plastic diverter.

There is also this new OM knock-off
PC-TP.jpg
alt="" />
it's by Pacific Coast and it's called Tidal Power 4 in 1

Let me say that i have never used these personally but I think this is like anything else. Some people just can't be pleased. Just like a mag pump.... most people love there dependability for the price but there are a few that say they are too noisey and produce too much heat. MOST of the people who have used a SCWD love them. Like I said, I will be the guinea pig and test it out. I am getting it for my b-day.

I just wanted to reiterate what I said earlier, I do not have first hand experience. As a matter of fact I was sold on one of these for a cube that Andy built me, but decided not to due to what I had read. I may use one of the new ones on the 60g cube that I am working on (for the return).

I'd be very interested in your review when you get it up and going...

Harleyguy,

I wasn't trying to stir up anything. I know you were just stating what you have read. I have read the same thing. I just was trying to make a point that I have found that sometimes people's reviews and opinions are not always accurate. It may be a few weeks before I get this badboy up and running but I will be sure to give my opinion.

I had an older scwd that did click. I had to turn the power way down before the clicking would stop and the pump was only rated for 700 gph which is right in the middle of the gph range for the device. I think it had to do with uneven pressure as one of the returns coming from the device was much longer than the other. I did away with the device completely once I got the vortechs.

I think though also that something might've been caught inside of it. Hell if I know as I couldn't open it to see inside. The new design seems to remedy that though.

Happy B-day man, I hope the gift works well! Please keep us updated.

I had a scwd, loved it on my 15g reef. I did break one of the outlet arms tho. Pretty cool that they made them cleanable and larger....too bad the price went wayyy up. For a decently cheap alternative to switching current, these are awesome.

chull13;151606 wrote: Harleyguy,

I wasn't trying to stir up anything. I know you were just stating what you have read. I have read the same thing. I just was trying to make a point that I have found that sometimes people's reviews and opinions are not always accurate. It may be a few weeks before I get this badboy up and running but I will be sure to give my opinion.

Cool, I can't wait for the review.:up:

The old ones were cleanable. It wasn't simple because you had to remove it from the plumbing, but running vinegar and then beach through made it quite clean.

It was a royal PITA to do, though.

Back