Overflow too loud

liverock27

Market
Reaction score
I just got through hooking up my 29g and the drain from the tank to the sump is really loud. The overflow is just an upside down 90 degree elbow that flows out of the tank to the sump. The water level is staying above the overflow and is making a hurricane like funnel down into the drain. Anyone know what the best way to fix this problem is? Should I look at putting a valve on the return line to slow down the return flow?
I know people have asked in the past, but I can't seem to find the old posts. Thanks.

This is what I am using on top of the elbow.
DSCN0586.jpg
alt="" />

Thanks Chris for bringing back the margarhita avatar. About time.

I just finished plumbing in two 100+gallon systems.The noise is air breaking the siphon, limit the air to the drain pipe and it will quite down. I use a T with and Elbow for my drain pipes. On the open end of the T put a cap or piece of duct tape. Then just put a tiny hole in it with a toothpick to control how much water drains. It works like a charm, just be careful of salt creep clogging your toothpick hole!:D

How would I use a durso externaly? Would I pretty much just use a T on the outsie of the bulkhead and cap off the top of T? But what about the drain in the tank? Should the elbow still be upside down.
Here is a picture I found
rendered.jpg
alt="" />

That is what I thought, but than my water line will be really low in the tank.

Drew here is a couple pics of the drain on my tank. works great just like this!:thumbs:
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
175189=10699-Photo-0059.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
175189=10699-Photo-0059.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Photo-0059.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
175189=10700-Photo-0060.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
175189=10700-Photo-0060.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Photo-0060.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I did my 54 similar but instead of using a cap with a hole drilled in it I used a ball valve for adjustability.

**** you're smart.

Seedless Reefer;175195 wrote: I did my 54 similar but instead of using a cap with a hole drilled in it I used a ball valve for adjustability.

LorenK;175208 wrote: **** you're smart.

And people wonder why I'm a plus size man........takes girth to tote this immense brain of mine around!

Actually it was freakin Chrisjets idea...yeah i know hard to believe he may be smart!

Thanks yall for all the help. I added the external durso and everything is working great. Now I just need to fill it with salt, rock, and sand.

LiveRock27;178783 wrote: Thanks yall for all the help. I added the external durso and everything is working great. Now I just need to fill it with salt, rock, and sand.
Yep, I did the same thing and mines pretty quiet. I will still work on a lid for your overflow sometime this week.

Back