Pom pom crabs

seedless reefer

Market
Reaction score
Ok so I bought this pom pom crab. He's a cool little guy however, he only has one claw so in reality he is really just a Pom crab..

Can I assume that he will grow another? If he does indeed grow another claw how does it going about getting a new pom pom?

I don't think they grow new claws. As for the pom pom, it's an anemone and will eventually split...or so i've been told.

They WILL grow a new claw after a molt or two. Iodine might help speed that up but all crabs, shrimp, starfish can grow missing parts. He will not get another "pom pom" (more then likely) but he might adopt a zoa or a piece of xenia for the cause... might not though!

The arm should grow back. As for the anemone, I forget the type but they pick them up in the wild so its unlikely that he'll find one in your tank. It is not unheard of though for them to pick up other small anemones or even zoanthids in the home aquarium. Leave a few polyps on the sandfloor when he gets his arm back and see if he picks one up.

Maybe you'll get REALLY lucky and he'll adopt an aptasia... wouldn't you like to see him wave that at you every day?

;)

Loren is kidding... I have zero aptasia in my tank... Could be that I have 1 peppermint shrimp for every 10 gallons, who knows?

Goes to show you should never listen to the LFS...I grilled them about the crab when i picked mine up.

Although, I'm not quite sure why we wouldn't expect the anemone to split. It's actually a pest anemone from SoCal and amazingly enough, reproduces by splitting.

I keep looking at the Pom Crab, and I think he DOES have both of his claws... just that one of them is empty

And.... one of the PomPom Crabs has one small anemone and one seemingly larger one. Yet, pretty sure when the crabs left the LFS, they all had anenomes of the same size....

hmmmmmmmmmm..... got a greedy PomPom Crab with his claws overly full?

brad;72030 wrote: Hey Linda, thanks againf ro picking this guy up for me. It's awesome, I love it.

I'll pass the thanks along to Loren ~ you're certainly welcome!

(P.S. ~ won't be in to work today. I'm sick as a dog-face puffer. If Gordo needs the RO before Monday, he can just stop by here to pick it up sometime this weekend.)

Well I have finally seen my Pom Pom. I put her in the fuge and watched for about 10 min the poof gone. 2 days no sight and last night she came out. YEA

roundman;72052 wrote: Well I have finally seen my Pom Pom. I put her in the fuge and watched for about 10 min the poof gone. 2 days no sight and last night she came out. YEA

Are you feeding anything in particular? Or is she just fending for herself from the 'fuge?

Not sure I have a fuge that is crawling with critters so haven't fed her yet. I was going to send Tiffiny a message and ask her what she thinks.

Back