Remote display fuge questions

benpoole28

Market
Reaction score
I wanted to build a custom display fuge to grow some cool algae and house some small fish that I like that would otherwise just get lost in my DT. So I did. tank has a seperate center chamber that sits in middle that return is plumbed to that sits 4 inches higher than water level. Water is pump in and flows over sides into the rest of the tank. It turned out pretty cool I think.

My question is, how important is it for the water going to the fuge to be unskimmed water? I want to run a line from my dt return to the fuge but this would be water that has been run through skimmer and carbon. If its pretty important to be unskimmed, id have to run a seperate pump.

Sent from my A554C using Tapatalk 2

ill post some in a bit, ive been running it for a week straight with just tap water to make sure its functioning properly. so far, so good.

Here it is. Looks really cool functioning. This pic is during leak test, which is why the long pipes sticking up. Plan on putting rubble and chaeto in center section untill I get a kessill gooseneck fixture, then it will be a small frag rack.

Sent from my A554C using Tapatalk 2

I like it Ben, not a big deal on skimming, you would be fine.
The skimmer doesn't skim all the water that goes into the sump, just a percentage anyway.

thanks man, it may be a little over the top. but oh well, something different. i like it.

MYREEFCLUB0070;1000520 wrote: I like it Ben, not a big deal on skimming, you would be fine.
The skimmer doesn't skim all the water that goes into the sump, just a percentage anyway.

Think he's concerned with the good nutrients and critters getting skimmed out.

Your skimmer and UV if you run one would be your biggest culprit in killing and removing these elements. However, life will make it through the skimmer fairly easy. As for the UV if you run one consider putting it on a timer of which turns off during the active periods. I run 160 watts of UV on my 90 gallon opposite my light cycle and my tank is pack with pods.

Thats a good idea running on a timer, i dont currently run a UV but im considering getting one.

Back