Replacement salt for Tropic Marin Pro Reef

wantsummora acropora

Supporting
Reaction score
I decided early on that I would use a high quality salt so I chose Tropic Marin Pro Reef. Well it seems no retailer can keep it in stock. BRS is out until mid-March. Is there a comparable, reliably available replacement anyone recommends? If so, what issues can I expect simply from changing salt? Mine is a new tank and currently, I just have a few fish and hermit crabs.

The only risk, IMO, to changing salts would be if you did large enough water changes to significantly alter your Alk or Ca.

I personally use Seachem Vibrant Sea - it has always been available on amazon for me - Seachem is also based in Georgia so it's supporting a local company in a way.

HW salt is a German salt of like quality to Tropic Marin. Seachem is also solid.

I like Fritz/LA salt.

If you're really concerned you can do partial mixes with the TM you have left with whatever you end up going with.

I use TM Classic. Having the same problem with out of stock at BRS, Marine Depot, etc., but just ordered a bucket from Petco last night. Free delivery, and it's already been shipped. Hate to give them my business over the online stores or our sponsors, but I'm not really interested in switching. The TM salts just mix up so nice and clean.

If you want to stay with TM, then you could try the Classic instead of the Pro. I think the only difference is Alk/Calc/mag levels, but assuming you manage those separately through dosing or whatever, I don't think the levels included in the salt mix make much difference.

I use TM Classic. Having the same problem with out of stock at BRS, Marine Depot, etc., but just ordered a bucket from Petco last night. Free delivery, and it's already been shipped. Hate to give them my business over the online stores or our sponsors, but I'm not really interested in switching. The TM salts just mix up so nice and clean.

If you want to stay with TM, then you could try the Classic instead of the Pro. I think the only difference is Alk/Calc/mag levels, but assuming you manage those separately through dosing or whatever, I don't think the levels included in the salt mix make much difference.

I really don't want to switch. I'm a big fan of german made stuff. Since I still have 7 months or so before i put my first coral in I'll try morganatlanta's idea and switch to the classic and stock up when I can find the pro reef.

Have you tried Pure Reef? That's where I get my TM Pro salt...

I wouldn't switch. I keep going back to Tropic Marin. Just mixes so clean and the numbers are always on point.

I decided early on that I would use a high quality salt so I chose Tropic Marin Pro Reef. Well it seems no retailer can keep it in stock. BRS is out until mid-March. Is there a comparable, reliably available replacement anyone recommends? If so, what issues can I expect simply from changing salt? Mine is a new tank and currently, I just have a few fish and hermit crabs.
Personally we LOVE Brightwell NeoNitro and Amazon sells boxes for $65 whereas the buckets are $95. We get the box! Have had amazing growth and it is very clean, zero residue and always mixes up to the exact parameters listed on the label if mixed as directed

Thank you Shawn! I went to Pure Reef yesterday and they had 1 bucket of TMPR left. I will definitely give them more of my business. Cleanest of all the LFS's I have been to.

Unbelievable. Workers busted a water main on my street this morning. Now water is full of rust/dirt. I've been flushing pipes for 30 minutes, still dirty. I'm sure my RODI can handle it but I don't want to burn through my resin. I'll let things run a few more days. Really need that water change though. In other news, my kole tang wants to take on my newbie foxface too stupid to know he's on the verge of death. I put up a mirror which is working too good IMO. Kole tang is preoccupied with his reflection. Now, the foxface wants a piece of his reflection too stupid to know he's got a breather. He's even turned blotch and clownfish now joining in. Anybody else have tangs and a foxface that don't eat Nori? smh
C481A0E8-CB90-4129-94C6-A84008B5CE22.jpeg

Mine eat nori but the Foxface and especially the Powder Brown won't leave the mirror alone, all day every day. The Bristletooth and Hippo don't pay it any attention. If I remove the mirror the Powder Brown becomes a holy terror to the Hippo and Bristletooth

So now I can't find Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt anywhere..... ugh.

Super clean and fast mixing
I've found that to be the same with LiveAquaria/Fritz. Crystal clear in a half hour or less. There are several brands that I've had problems with. SeaChem's Vibrant is one of them, still cloudy the next day.

Is there anything else that TM salt has going for it that would make someone want to get it over something that costs less and is widely available?

I've found that to be the same with LiveAquaria/Fritz. Crystal clear in a half hour or less. There are several brands that I've had problems with. SeaChem's Vibrant is one of them, still cloudy the next day. The buyer just needs to decide what they want and is it worth it. :)

Is there anything else that TM salt has going for it that would make someone want to get it over something that costs less and is widely available?
BRS did a whole entire series about this topic and why TM is such a good salt- the purity of the composition, clean mix, ability to be stored and maintain its levels, stability, etc.

Back