Safe to use this check valve for return?

carey1465

Market
Reaction score
Lowes didn't have your normal 1" pvc check valve today so the clerk pointed this one out. It's made for well pumps for houses. I was concerned when I saw the 175 psi. I liked this check valve because of the size. Has anyone used one similar to this?

I'm using this valve on the jebao dct15000

670bef50460f6d35b806245defdbfec5.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be worried about the spring corroding in salt water. The typical check valve in a reef setup is a flapper type with no spring.

Chris S;1100413 wrote: I'd be worried about the spring corroding in salt water. The typical check valve in a reef setup is a flapper type with no spring.

That's a good point about the spring

Out of curiosity, is the water only siphoning back when the pump is off and do you have enough reserve capacity in your sump for the siphoned water when it does siphon? if so, I am not sure I understand the problem with it siphoning back other than maybe taking a tank inhabitant down the supply pipe?

For me, it was just the peace-of-mind it gave me knowing nothing was back-siphoning...I've had wet floors too many times in the past, and this is a simple kill to keep that potential problem from happening. If you've one near you, carey, check Home Depot, they have them too.

SaltWaterWannabe;1100421 wrote: Out of curiosity, is the water only siphoning back when the pump is off and do you have enough reserve capacity in your sump for the siphoned water when it does siphon? if so, I am not sure I understand the problem with it siphoning back other than maybe taking a tank inhabitant down the supply pipe?

It was siphoning when the pump is turned off. I drilled a larger hole last night and that fixed the problem. The sumps holds almost 47 gallons. But if I wasn't home when the power went off, I'm sure it would've overflowed within a few hours.

I don't think it's worth it. They can still malfunction and flood. A properly set up tank and sump shouldn't overflow with back siphon.

HiImSean;1100433 wrote: I don't think it's worth it. They can still malfunction and flood. A properly set up tank and sump shouldn't overflow with back siphon.

+1 Check Valves still fail all the time unfortunately.

HiImSean;1100433 wrote: I don't think it's worth it. They can still malfunction and flood. A properly set up tank and sump shouldn't overflow with back siphon.

I fixed the problem last night. I just had to drill a larger hole in the return pipe.

Agree with all of the above. The spring is the weak link - salt will corrode it pronto.

A proper check valve is OK if it's checked regularly. I like the clear PVC True Union Check Valves. They are more expensive, but you can remove them to clean and you can SEE inside them to see if they are working properly... and if/when you need to replace it, you can swap it out with an identical one without having to cut pipe and replumb.

Been there, done that...

Jenn

The flapper type very seldom fail, they will however quit working properly due to the lack of maintenance. Not bad for redundancy.

Back