Sand- to stay or to go!!!

Sand or no sand?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Reefchef

Supporting
Reaction score
Im doing my water change, I've really been thinking about getting rid of my sand! Please let me know what you all think. I like bb and sand but I'm really thinking about changing to bb after talking to a friend. Especially now tgat I know I can still have scollys and mushrooms!

My thoughts would be it depends how long you have been up and running because you have to take into consideration that alot of your bacteria ect can be in the sand to help your tank stay gking.... if that makes sense.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I know someone here @bigd maybe that goes all bare bottom. I have bare bottom QT tanks and ai don’t like them. I have a relatively thin sand layer in my DT

I think I’m going back to sand. My tank I took down this fall had sand, my current one does not but I think what I’m working on will.

Thank you all for all your great feedback, I think im going to thin it out for now. If im still not happy later then I'll take it out. Im also use to always having sand, so the bb would be something new to me also.

The first picture is what I'll be going for, the other 2 are as is right now. Sorry for the dirtiness, maintenance day!!!

20200323_190812.jpg20200323_190745.jpg20200323_152309.jpg

I think once we graduate to a larger tank, I'd go bare bottom for ease of maintenance and one less thing to worry about.
I'd probably add a container of sand for my wrasse to sleep in.

I guess I do get confused with the other “d” @dball711

It's ok, I do feel bad for Dave @dball711 though. Lots of folks seem to get us confused. I had several PM's after the frag swap meeting asking questions about corals, lighting requirements, placement in tank, and if they could buy more. lol

Maybe one day I'll get back to having tanks as nice as his. :p

Totally pro sand. I even use black hawaiian sand. But do what you like. Sand works and so does bare bottom.
I have the hawaiian black sand as well, I only asked to get different opinions. I like the look of the sand, but it can be a slight pain sometimes. I think I just may have it too deep, so Im going to just thin it out a bit.

I have the hawaiian black sand as well, I only asked to get different opinions. I like the look of the sand, but it can be a slight pain sometimes. I think I just may have it too deep, so Im going to just thin it out a bit.
Like i said you can go either way and be ok. Just do what works best for you

Big fan of sand because one of my favorite things about this hobby is a goby/shrimp paired up. Plus I like wrasses and a lot of them like to sand dive. Finally, a bard bottom is never really 'bare'. There is always some about of sand, fish waste, detritus, empty shells or algae that grows on the bare bottom and the sand does a better job of blending all of that in.

Back