T5 vs. HQI questions for new build.

Smoothie;389086 wrote: Thought about a dimmable halide ballast?

OK, how does a dimmable MH ballast work and why would you need to dim a 250w halide or even a 400 watt in a 24" deep 90 if the corals are placed properly in the tank.

Not trying to be a smart @%^ here just really trying to learn and understand before I break into the bank so to speak to build a bigger tank.

theplantman;389089 wrote: As dawgdude educated me last night, only half the price if you are NOT looking at ATI or Geissman fixtures. They are sweet.
Like I said, I still have a good amount of time to decide what to do. I do have a basic light fixture to put on the tank in the short term but it's what I'm going to go with long term that I need to decide on.

I really want to go MH, it's just what to do and how to set it all up.

dawgdude;389096 wrote: Ive got the 400w dimmable. Its nice because you can dial it down to (dont quote me on the number) around 280w. I had a problem with my corals not looking to great during my move back home. I dimmed the ballast down and the slowly ramped them up to full 400w. It also made the bulb alot bluer when dimmed. I dont know how dimming affects the amount of heat output though as I never really checked that.

Interesting, I would imagine that it would help with coral placement then, no need to place in the bottom and slowly move to the top to acclimate to the light when you can dim the fixture. I would think this would be healthier for the coral, less handling. Since we are on the subject of dimmables, do they make t5's that do this as well?

And you get "the shimmer." Not a big deciding factor, but bulbs would last longer with halides compared to overdriven t5's. Price would be about the same at the end of the year though.

theplantman;389085 wrote: Thanks everyone for all the input, i think i am going keep an eye on the blended set up i have on the 34 and see how the corals respond before I decide which way to go. I do like the slim look of the t5's and the numerous bulb choices, but don't know if I want to give up the shimmer put off by the halides. (the heat I can deal with, fans do work wonders) I was looking at the Ice cap ballasts last night after the earlier posts from dawgdude and understand overdriving the HO T5's.

I think I need to find some tanks to visit that are 100% t5 driven.

I believe that the two cube displays at Creation Reef in Woodstock are T5 driven..

Back