Top off water bin ideas?

rostato

Market
Reaction score
What would you do?

My ultimate lazininess is getting the best of me. I like to try and enjoy my tank instead of working on it all the time, and filling up my puny little 4 gallon trash can in my stand every 3 days is getting old. I am trying to make my tank self sustainable for a week with no human input, and this is the only thing holding me back.

The problem is I have no room at all. I only have enough room in the stand to hold 4 extra gallons (hence what I am doing now), and like 8 inches of width next to the tank to work with.

I also only have about 5 inches behind the tank, so basically no room.

I have yet to find a nice, tall, and really slim trash can. Most of them run about 11 inches wide.

I am at the point where I want to build a custom acrylic container that will house at least 10 gallons of RO, but I have never worked with acrylic, and that just seems like 10 gallons of a waiting disaster.

What woudl you do? I will not rest untill I can leave this tank alone for at least a week!

Also, I will not plumb my RO directly into it because I don't have any water supply near the tank, also my RO leaks with any back pressure applied to it.

How about something like this?
ref=asc_df_B000I179NW738046

what's in the room behind your tank?

consider setting up a foe-cabinet next to your tank, one that matches your stand?

stacy22;304074 wrote: How about something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I179NW/ref=asc_df_B000I179NW738046?smid=A1FWOG4NHCL26V&tag=shopzilla_rev_277-20&linkCode=asn">http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I179NW/ref=asc_df_B000I179NW738046?smid=A1FWOG4NHCL26V&tag=shopzilla_rev_277-20&linkCode=asn</a>[/QUOTE]

That would be perfect, only it is 2 inches too wide. I am looking for something exactly like that, but only 8 inches wide...

For reference here is how much room I have...none.

[IMG]http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m36/hondaguru/90G/DSC00100.jpg alt="" />

this is on the right side of the tank...all that stuff can be moved under the stand when I find a container.

DSC00162.jpg
alt="" />

The left side has 0 space. Enough for a vortech powerhead, and thats it

Can i see a picture of all around you tank? and what is on the other side of the wall?

I put a 10 gallon rubbermaid beside my tank with a top on it and the water hose coming out top. I carry a 5 gallon container of water upstairs about once a week and empty into rubbermaid. Sure its not the prettiest but it gets job done. You get used to it after a while.

The other side of the wall is a bedroom. It is a new house, and I am not allowed to drill holes. There is a pantry right next to the tank, and I would LOVE to drill a hole, and put a big rubber maid in there, but that will not fly.

The second pic is what I have to work with.

HAHA thats the same thing stacy22 suggested. Its 2 in too fat. Sucks because that would be perfect. I have been walking around every department store I can find tyring to find something that will work.

Are they sqishy?? I am tempted to try and squeeze one in there, but I am worried about ruining the wall.

rostato;304238 wrote: HAHA thats the same thing stacy22 suggested. Its 2 in too fat. Sucks because that would be perfect. I have been walking around every department store I can find tyring to find something that will work.

Try the Container Store. They may have these type of things in some varying sizes. You could also see in person how pliable they are. I hate to be on a search like this and find may things that are almost</em> the right thing. Good luck.

You could link together two or more 5 gal water jugs (think jerry cans) to get the capacity your looking for.....

I figured it out. I bought a 13 gallon trash can cheapo from wally world, and cut off the lip on the top. Sanded it smooth and voila! I should get about 10-12 gallons to fit in there!

I cut the top because it was too wide, and it made it seriouslt flexible so it could squish in the space.

I also had to raise it up so the width would cooperate with me. Between the base of the stand and the molding I had to figure out something. Here are some pics. I just need to plumb it all in now. Fits like a glove!

DSC01634.jpg
alt="" />
DSC01635.jpg
alt="" />
DSC01637.jpg
alt="" />
DSC01639.jpg
alt="" />

Good thing you brough that up. Anyideas? I will get algae problems if I don't put a lide on it since the light from the tank leaks there.

So, I need to figure that out. They didnt have the ones at wally world, but it wouldnt fit even if they did.

Wont look to bad once you get teh wood fixed at the bottom. Maybe you can even engineer a lid for it and it will make like a little place to sit things as you fool with the tank.

Derek_S;304885 wrote: Wont look to bad once you get teh wood fixed at the bottom. Maybe you can even engineer a lid for it and it will make like a little place to sit things as you fool with the tank.

I was going to leave the wood alone, now you made me realize its ugly. Guess I will have to pretty it up...

Back