What's your UV schedule?

oz

Market
Reaction score
I currently have my 57W UV running 24/7 but that seems a bit much now that my fuge is set up. I was thinking about going to a 12hr or a 24/7 week on / week off type schedule.

How often are your UV's on?

ChrisOzment;157290 said:
I currently have my 57W UV running 24/7 but that seems a bit much now that my fuge is set up. I was thinking about going to a 12hr or a 24/7 week on / week off type schedule.

How often are your UV's on?
Mine is on 24/7 as well.....however my understanding is that your fuge serves as a different purpose..The fuge helps the nitrogen process, while the uv is a steralizing device that helps to destroy protzoan bacteria ( such as ich...and so on)

Yes, I agree with the UV's purpose. My point about the fuge was I now have my system setup to the point where I won't be making any more changes. There is 1 more fish I will add and then just adding more corals after that so my need to kill ich and other parasites won't be as necessary moving forward.

No more rock changes or any other system / fish stressing activities. I had to replace my bulb and ballast so my UV was off for over a couple weeks with no affect. So I am thinking of going to a more sporadic scheudle to prolong the bulb/ballast life if my system/animals don't mind.

well...IMHO the tank will run just fine without the uv on at all...Its a matter of preferance rather than a mandate...I consider my uv kinda like a firewall is to the computer..you may not need it most of the time but when ya do ...it sure is nice.

coblerx4;157313 wrote: 10pm to 7am.

A little unorthodox but on a reef this sounds like a good idea to me. Have it turn on well after feedings... i don't see the need to cook everything in the water column ether.
I run mine 2 days a week on my reef unless a fish have a problem then 24/7. More importantly is that the flow rate is slow enough for the UV to work.

Back