Will this cause a cycle?

triga22

Market
Reaction score
My sump was "leaking" right before thanksgiving break. So I am using a power filter for now. I just got everything fixed and ready to be plugged in. Since this stuff in the refuge is dead since its been in freezing water for a week. Will starting it up again cause a cyle to the main tank.

I would say the die off probably caused a lot of nitrates and ammonia in the water for the fuge. Cold water does lower the meta rates of critters so you might be suprised what lived, but I would test the water and if the nitrates and ammonia are high clean it out and start over.

I cleaned it out and pretty much am starting over. Should I just let that be a "little tank" for it to have time to cycle?

your main tank will take core of if. You will get a mini cycle, but nothing notice able.

hook it up and let it run

Since your main tank already has the bacteria needed to handle its bio load and has finished cycling and nothing in the fuge, there really shouldn't be a new cycle at all. You basically need some bioload creating ammonia for a cycle to start and not sure where the source of ammonia would come from since your existing tank will process any waste.

Oh. I have been running it by itself for a week becuase thats what SWF told me. I forgot to look here.

Back