Dilution

90guzmanj

Reaction score
I bought premade saltwater and using my checkers I like all the parameters except the salinity. I found online that it measures about 37 ppt and I want to bring it down to 35 ppt. Using hamzasreef calculator it says I need .51 gallons to achieve this. My question is, will diluting the salinity also dilute everything else?

I haven't, that just seemed to be the general consensus online. I have a refractometer coming tomorrow that'll use after I calibrate it and I only wanted to dilute it a bit since most corals are kept at 1.026 sg or 35 ppt so I thought this be better for acclimation purposes; and it being a 10 gallon tank, I don't want the salinity to get even higher as the fresh water evaporates

Wait until you get your refractometer. I don't know what "checkers" you used to check the salinity, but I use a refractometer. Easier to add water later than it is to wait for it to evaporate back out. Also, if you bought pre-made saltwater I'm going to assume you don't have an RO/DI unit, so make sure you go buy DI water from the store, don't use tap water or spring water or anything like that, this goes for your top off water too.

I used my Hannah checkers for calcium, dkh, mag, alk, etc but yeah I don't have a salinity tool yet but I was more so wondering if diluting the salt also dilutes the other elements. For my 10 gallon qt I found it easier to use premade salt water and using distilled water, that I double check that my tds meter read 0 ppm, as my top off. Once I save up for my display tank yeah ill be getting a a rodi, or maybe a di filter to go on my 6 stage ro unit under my sink, and buckets of salt.

Yes, adding water to your saltwater will dilute everything else. The better question would be by how much. I'm not a mathematician so I do simple math; if you add half a gallon to 10 gallons you are diluting everything by 5%, so multiply what your current numbers are by 0.95 and you will know what they would be diluted to if you did that.
Example: Calcium 420 x 0.95 = 399

Yes, it will. However, you have no choice if you want the proper salinity. As far as other elements in this water I think your concern is irrelevant since this is a QT tank.

A word of caution, do not get into the habit of chasing numbers or else this is going to turn into a long and uncomfortable ride.

Just curious, how do you know the salinity if you have no means of measuring it?

Last edited:
Back