Help Plumbing First Tank

ttf617

Supporting
Reaction score
Hey all,

Im in the process of building out a 90 gallon, which will have a sump. I'm feeling over whelmed figuring out how to design and execute the plumbing. Would anyone in the Atlanta area want to meet up for coffee to talk through what to consider and help me design? Im located in the Grant Park, Summerhill area.

I'll post a picture of mine tonight. I have a simple drain/ return with a two Port manifold coming off the return in case I want to run a reactor or whatnot. I would say the biggest most important thing to do is simulated power outages

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

The return line is on the left in the sump, it "t's" off into two return lines with ball valves, you can see the two capped off "t's" above the sump. Remember to put a union directly at the pump so it can be removed for maintenance.

The two lines coming down on the right side of the sump are the returns, one is a primary and one is an emergency.

You dont need to put valves on the drains as water will only drain as fast as it is pumped in, simple physics.

Also, every 90° elbow on the return equals about a foot of added head height to the pump flow. I try and use 45° elbows where i can.

I always plumb the system without glueing first then take it apart and glue.
Chris c
d5ad195fec0716d2ab3f1c7b2bde39e9.jpg
25afe951e3ba4557c2f571bd7257f6b1.jpg
d0dc907af0d00c0ed0f03ebae04d3cfe.jpg
d4085283b782f0c9a4d381d2845698e7.jpg
ef2224846a9584fc50afd07f29e547a5.jpg
f4374bad07d1d1cffd95264092d390d4.jpg

Hey all,

Im in the process of building out a 90 gallon, which will have a sump. I'm feeling over whelmed figuring out how to design and execute the plumbing. Would anyone in the Atlanta area want to meet up for coffee to talk through what to consider and help me design? Im located in the Grant Park, Summerhill area.
Check out this thread, this is some very clean and great plumbing, sometimes simple is better. This should be similar to your 90g with 2 overflows, but if not, even with 1 this will make sense.

Check out this thread, this is some very clean and great plumbing, sometimes simple is better. This should be similar to your 90g with 2 overflows, but if not, even with 1 this will make sense.

Thanks for the Thumbs up Scott i appreciate the Nod

Thanks for the help and resources everyone! How do I account for a UV sterilizer and anything else I may want to add down the line? Anything I should definitely have/consider when it comes to various valves?

Thanks for the help and resources everyone! How do I account for a UV sterilizer and anything else I may want to add down the line? Anything I should definitely have/consider when it comes to various valves?
Manifold is your best bet.

Thanks for the Thumbs up Scott i appreciate the Nod
This was great! I hear a lot about check valves to prevent a back siphon and/or over flow. Where should these go and how many do i need?

And the manifold is run off a main return line, and has valves correct? Where do i run the drain to? Where filters socks are?
Yes, use as many unions as you can without clutter. Make’s maintenance and repairs easier.

This was great! I hear a lot about check valves to prevent a back siphon and/or over flow. Where should these go and how many do i need?
I put one in each supply line back to the display. They won’t help in the drain to the sump or you won’t have any flow and water won’t flow up without a pump

I would either make siphon breaks inside the tank or position the returns in the tank where they break the siphon when the water drains past them( dont position the return pipes far down in the display).
I wouldnt rely on check valves themselves i have seen them leak plenty of times.

Back