How high can I hang Radion xr30 Pro G6s above 180g?

Milton Reefer

Supporting
Reaction score
I'm just about to set the tank up and plan on 3 of them. I'm going to do a mixed reef with SPSs on top. I like the idea of hanging the lights to keep them out of the way when doing maintenance. Wondering how high I can go before the spread becomes too much. I'm going to use diffusers, and happy to add more lights if need be.

In a perfect world, I'd raise them up around 2'.

Appreciate the help!

You would have to get a PAR meter to determine that. I run 7x xr15s G5s about 18" off the water and works great, but I only run them at 60% intensity. I could easily take them higher and raise the intensity, but the light bleed is horrible. I really should get some type of canopy cause its quite blinding.

I would skip the diffusers and buy the high intensity lens kits instead. You are wasting a lot of light mounting at 24” with newer generation Radions. Using something like a Kessil A500x with narrow reflectors might also be a good option.

I would skip the diffusers and buy the high intensity lens kits instead. You are wasting a lot of light mounting at 24” with newer generation Radions. Using something like a Kessil A500x with narrow reflectors might also be a good option.
Thanks. I don't mind going with another brand, but need diffusers so we don't burn our eyes out.

I personally have found that the 3D printed shades help more with that issue. If you end up getting the Radions and want diffusers let me know. I have two that I used for a couple of weeks that I will sell for cheap.

I personally have found that the 3D printed shades help more with that issue. If you end up getting the Radions and want diffusers let me know. I have two that I used for a couple of weeks that I will sell for cheap.
Funny you say that, I was about to ask about those things. Now I'm wondering if going with XR30s with the shades, or other lights with more narrow dispersion will make sense. Nemo's has their lights about 4' above their 500g tank, and the reef is beautiful, with great growth...crazy light spillage though.

I had two AI primes on my 36 inch wide tank. I just added a Radion XR30 and the differences astounding, will never go back.
I still have the 2 AIs on there.
Agree, the light bleed is annoying though

Back