Jikker's Planet 125g lagoon, the Culmination of Indecision.

Jikkermanccini

Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
Heyo! I thought I would start a build thread for my reef here, so I plan to copy my thread on R2R to this platform too. Here's a link to the thread over there:
I'll keep both threads active of course, but it makes more sense to run it on here than R2R.

I just re-read my old R2R thread from page 1 to 5, and suffice to say, I've had a rollercoaster of an experience with this tank. A pattern I've noticed is fish surviving for 5-8 months before disappearing without signs of disease, a continuous cycle of different algaes, and a vicious cycle of acropora being wiped out by factors outside of my control.

Let's start updating this again. I've been sailing on automation for the past few months, and I'm ready to get back into the thick of it.
IMG_0717.JPG
First thing's first, casualties. Both remaining clownfish and a filefish mysteriously passed since the last update in February. No signs of disease, just dead one day, leading me to think flukes are the culprit.
Same deal with my giant purple urchin. Just stopped moving and shed all his spines, both other urchins are fine. I think it was old age, he was grapefruit sized.
I bought a hectors goby last month that I have not seen once since adding. I suspect he's still there though as there's a spot of sand near a rock that stays suspiciously clean.
I lost an acro frag in the rockwork directly after purchasing it, same deal with a monti. System is currently acro-free, I may keep it that way.
Lumped in with casualties, I have sold several colonies from the tank. The green shroom rock, the acan, and one of two larger chunks of my Caulastrea. I'm seriously working to clean off the sandbed and get it nice and white again.

Ecosystem health:
Hair algae has begun its rapid colonization. My starry blenny and chocolate tang occasionally nip at it, but I have to pull it out first. They don't eat the strands. Diatoms of one form or another have also taken their hold, but I'm not particularly worried about those.
Microfauna is at an all-time high, thanks to additions from Florida. The water is full of mysid shrimp every night, along with larval hermit crabs from my thinstripes, and the glass is populated with immense diversity of copopods and their ilk. Weird little filter feeders hang from every cave ceiling, notably miniature tunicates, yellow, orange and blue sponges, and bivalves.
Coral extension & coloration is phenomenal, no doubt aided by bi-nightly feedings. Everything gets a taste, and it shows.

Additions:
Since the last update, I have added (in order):
Chocolate tang (mid spring)
serpent star (late spring)
hermits from FL (late spring)
Ornate brittlestar (this month)
x3 yellowband possum wrasses (two days ago)
x2 blackcap grammas (two days ago)
Blue linckia starfish (two days ago)

Total stock list, not including coral:

Sargassum triggerfish
x2 blue bird wrasse (juvenile)
Pajama cardinal
Starry blenny
Chocolate tang
Hector's goby? (not seen since addition)
x3 Yellowbanded possum wrasse
x2 Black-cap gramma

Tuxedo urchin
Pincushion urchin
Serpent star
Ornate brittlestar
Blue Linckia
Tigertail sea cucumber (hitchhiker!)
Emerald crab
Myriad hermits
CB Squamosa clam
Myriad snails
Flame scallop (5 months!)

So here's my dilemma. The tank is a pretty bare slate right now, so I can take it any direction. I've wanted to try a Heteractis Magnifica for years, and I do have a rock that I got specifically with that in mind, so that's one way I could go.
I could get back into sticks, which were amazing, and focus on a higher energy reef environment.
Or I could keep it going with this lazy reef feel, stock up on softies and gorgonians, and let it be an easy rider sort of tank.
All three options are appealing, so I just have to decide which direction I want to go. I miss my Pink Caddy and Rainbow Tort, so I'll at least get a new frag of each of those. Other immanent additions are a small school of scissortail darts and some sort of rabbitfish, most likely a coralinus.
Thank you all for tuning in. I've literally never updated this thread before, but why not start now? You local reefers deserve to see my tank more than some randos online.

Photo dump immanent.
IMG_0719.JPGIMG_0721.JPGIMG_0723.JPG

IMG_0731.JPG

Do you qt any of your fish? The corals look nice.
I do not! I go by the rule that a healthy fish will be more than able to fight off a parasite. I occasionally feed a medicated food (I soak flakes in Metroplex), but not often as only as upkeep. I use filter feeders in place of a UV sterilizer, and it's worked wonders for me.

Thank you! Everyone is looking a lot better right now, that's for sure.

I entered Top Shelf Aquatics' grow out contest, hoping I'm at least considered as every other entrant runs a very typical SPS dominant, so the frags in each system will grow more or less the same (=no variety in color or growth patterns). If I'm nominated for top five, I'll share the R2R voting link if y'all want to help out :D

I've got a new friend on the way! Arriving next Thursday. A mag has been a long time goal for me since I started, and I now feel confident enough to raise one myself.
In all honesty, I was looking for a pink based mag. But for a pink base you pay $100-200 more on the spot, not counting the tentacle color, so maybe I'll get a pink base after I've had this one happy and stable for a while.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 12
Nice. Definitely still on my list as well. Are you planning on treating it at all before adding to the tank?

Nice. Definitely still on my list as well. Are you planning on treating it at all before adding to the tank?
I don't plan to at the moment. I WILL keep it in observation before I release it to the main tank, but it's recently been shown that treating an anemone (specifically with Cipro) without visible signs of disease is actually more dangerous than the disease itself. Cipro is a very aggressive drug.
I'm not particularly worried about it, as it's coming from Pacific East Aquaculture. Dr. Mac keeps all of his mags for several weeks before listing them on the site, so I'm confident it'll be healthy.

I'm struggling to decide what clownfish species to get for the mag... I've had pink skunks many times over the years, and they are generally my favorite, but my family thinks they look like raw chicken thighs and would prefer more classic clown species (Ocellaris, percula). I may just get a pair of percs and be done with it, but I'd like to experiment with other species too.

The nem should be arriving today! Unfortunately, the tracking number they sent me is faulty, so I've just got to keep an ear out for the truck. Very excited.

There was a miscommunication with the shipping dates, it will be arriving tomorrow after all.

He's here! Arrived just in time, was blown away to see it has a neon yellow foot! It's like the little brother to @Enderdg's monster!
I have a policy in my aquarium that a creature must survive for a couple of weeks before I give it a name. When this guy reaches the quota, he will earn the name of Kermit.
IMG_20230818_105117142.jpgIMG_20230818_110116177.jpgIMG_20230818_112405587.jpg

His foot is seeping through the acclimation box, and his mouth is tightly closed. I couldn't be happier with the animal.

IMG_20230818_112910589.jpg

He's in the tank! I have an order in for some skunk clowns with Pure, so by the time those arrive he should be pretty well settled. He's a little larger than 8 inches across.
IMG_20230819_101739004.jpg

Back