more mm live rock pics

spike

Sponsor
Reaction score
I promised more pictures of my DIY live rock. The first is one I made and stuck round pasta into. The second is a arch rock, the one with the frogspawn. Has holes in it for corals. The rock around it is mostly real live rock. There is another DIY cave rock under the heap.

There was a great post on this on reef central. Can't seem to find it now,.. but you might want to check there.

dawgdude wrote: Well I made some rock yesterday and I have to say that it was easy and the supplies only cost $20 bucks for 94lb of portland and a huge bag of salt. I just want to say THANK YOU SO MUCH RAMONE for sharing such a great idea with us!!!. I am going to be setting up a 90g in about 4 or 5 months and was really worried about having enough money for rock. But now I can use alot less rock by cycling this with other LR before I start my tank and atleast off set my cost some. Now the rock I made is drying. But my question is when do I put it in fresh water and what is the "curing schedule" to get all of the pH spikes out and what not. Can anyone do a step by step for me?
I am glad that I was able to save you some cash. After about 3 days I put the rock in freshwater with a powerhead. Change the water every say 4 days, less frequent later in cycle. Supposedly the more water changes the better, I have not proved that theory correct. I have heard small pieces can be put into the toilet tank. Everytime you flush you have a water change. Problem is the piece needs to be small and also not interfere with the function of the toilet. Make sure the piece is in the tank not the bowl. I keep the rock in freshwater about 2-3 months, then move to saltwater, or add salt. Then usually 2 weeks before adding to tank. You can find multiple theories on how to cure, and how long. GARF site says soak in vinegar and then fresh water then tank. I have found soaking only lowers PH while in vinegar, and for a short time afterward. Then the PH rises again. You would not want that rise in your tank. Any other questions bring em on. I am no expert but I have read a lot on the subject, and have done a few rock.

I have always been told just to put them in a garbage can, change out the water at least once a week and when the water in the can does not get above 8.5 after the week it is safe for the tank. Just what I have heard.
Jerry

Don't ask me why but when you move from freshwater to saltwater there is a spike in the ph. Usually for another week or two before putting in tank.

I have inherited about 70lbs of dead, tried, sun bleached (what used to be) live rock. Fairly large pieces. Tried thinking of what I might do with this stuff, and thinking I might try carving, sculping a few pieces to form a cool cave for my tank. Being coral, it's PH would match my tank, plus I need not worry about disturbing any live fauna/flora that is living on it, as it is of coarse dead. I'm going to look into the, has anyone else ever tried this? Dakota(9)

Back