Rookie in need of Mentor

Sderengo1219

Reaction score
I've been interested in having a salt-water aquarium for as long as I can remember, and now that I have the means to do so I'm trying to figure out how to get it done. The amount of conflicting information out there is pretty intimidating so I'm hoping I can find a mentor and just discuss what I'm thinking and what my options are to be as successful as possible. I think my beginning questions and concerns are as follows and I was hoping to get some input on whether I need to change my first reef tank plan.

1. I have a 75-gallon former freshwater tank that I was hoping to convert to saltwater. My intention was to use hang-on-the-back equipment as based on my research that is the most cost-effective way to get started but has the disadvantage of being somewhat unsightly. Is the aesthetics the primary drawback of this plan?

2. Can anyone give me some guidelines for how much sand I'll need? I have a 20 lbs bag in my cart on Amazon as I put together what I think I need, but based on my reading I think I need more and potentially way more.

3. How much rock do I need? I've seen 1 lb per gallon of tank water, but is it possible to be successful with more or less. I was thinking somewhat less.

4. My plan was to use the old LED light that I used for my freshwater setup. I know that it won't work for corals, but if I'm not adding corals immediately can I put off getting a light or should I just go ahead and get it and will benefit my fish until I decide the time is right to add corals?

5. My stocking plan was to introduce a couple of clowns for cycling the tank at first and then slowly add more fish as I figure out what I'm doing. Is that how most people go about it or should I develop a full stocking plan at the outset? Other critters I like are Flame Angel, Coral Beauty, Royal Gramma, and 6-lined Wrasse. I also really like the way peppermint shrimp look. I get not all of these guys coexist with one another but that's why I'm here asking questions.

6. Any opinions if starting off repurposing my freshwater tank with hang-on-the-back equipment is a waste of time or a valid way to see if reefing is for me?

Anyone willing to mentor me please reach out as I want to learn and do right by any fish I do end up purchasing.

If you want to start with fish only (Fowler), it is much easier than trying to keep coral. You do need to decide before stocking fish, if you think you will want to try growing coral in the future though, as some really pretty fish love to snack on polyps. If you are unsure, select reef safe fish only for the time being.

assuming we are starting easy without coral, focus on keeping your water at the right temperature (around 78) and proper salinity (35ppt). You will need to export fish waste somehow, of which there are many methods, the main ones being a skimmer and/or water changes.

any light is fine with fish, they don’t care

sand isn’t necessary and there is no right answer. 20lb is too short though if you want sand in a 75g tank.

I don’t know how much rock by weight is proper, but in saltwater aquariums, rock is a main element of filtration as well as fish habitat… it’s important.

I would cycle the tank before adding clowns just as in freshwater. Throw some food in and test for ammonia, then nitrite and nitrate finally.

just as in freshwater, fish carry unwelcome diseases and parasites. Look up quarantine process or be very selective with where you get fish from and pray they don’t have something unseen.

freshwater equipment won’t do much for saltwater… sumps help get equipment out of sight and also provide more flow oxygenation.

hope that was some of your questions! Good luck!

You nailed some of my primary concerns. Good to know I'll either need more sand or not worry about it. Doesn't the sand though also play a part in the filtration process? Also since the sand I have in my cart has a bunch of bacteria in it does that mean it could jump-start getting the ecosystem in order? I'll definitely need to look up the quarantine process as I've never quarantined any of the freshwater I've had as I've all but exclusively kept solo Oscars. I've been watching the BSRTv 5 minute saltwater guide which is a series of 5-minute videos if you aren't familiar with it. I appreciate your time and will probably bother you again with more questions

No problem, I’m sure others will give advice. The BRS videos are full of information. Easy to get sucked down the rabbit hole with 100’sbof hours of content.

Yes, sand has lots of surface area for the good bacteria to grow. Even though it says it’s “live sand”, you still need to cycle. People do no sand, and while it’s harder to get the tank stable, has some advantages to no sand. Me personally… I like the look of sand

I've been interested in having a salt-water aquarium for as long as I can remember, and now that I have the means to do so I'm trying to figure out how to get it done. The amount of conflicting information out there is pretty intimidating so I'm hoping I can find a mentor and just discuss what I'm thinking and what my options are to be as successful as possible. I think my beginning questions and concerns are as follows and I was hoping to get some input on whether I need to change my first reef tank plan.

1. I have a 75-gallon former freshwater tank that I was hoping to convert to saltwater. My intention was to use hang-on-the-back equipment as based on my research that is the most cost-effective way to get started but has the disadvantage of being somewhat unsightly. Is the aesthetics the primary drawback of this plan? A good portion of having everything underneath in the sump is aesthetics. However, a sump does give you a lot more flexibility when it comes to equipment you can use. You can def have a successful saltwater tank with HOB equipment like filters, skimmers, etc. You would have your heaters in the tank.

2. Can anyone give me some guidelines for how much sand I'll need? I have a 20 lbs bag in my cart on Amazon as I put together what I think I need, but based on my reading I think I need more and potentially way more. The amount is entirely up to you, there are plenty of successful tanks that are bare bottom. You would just have to decide if you plan to house any sand dwelling creatures like some gobies, wrasses, etc.

3. How much rock do I need? I've seen 1 lb per gallon of tank water, but is it possible to be successful with more or less. I was thinking somewhat less. There is no set amount of rock needed. I think the 1lb per gallon was the recommendation decades ago before all the options of bio media available on the market today. Product such as marine pure is way more efficient in size compared to live rocks when it comes to housing bio diversity. Again, I suggest to consider the livestock you plan to house. The more fish, you will need more hiding places for each of them to sleep at night. Other than that, purely aesthetic.

4. My plan was to use the old LED light that I used for my freshwater setup. I know that it won't work for corals, but if I'm not adding corals immediately can I put off getting a light or should I just go ahead and get it and will benefit my fish until I decide the time is right to add corals? If you don't plan to house corals, you can use whatever light you want. Fish don't really care. While just caring for fish, you can start planning and saving for your reef goals.

5. My stocking plan was to introduce a couple of clowns for cycling the tank at first and then slowly add more fish as I figure out what I'm doing. Is that how most people go about it or should I develop a full stocking plan at the outset? Other critters I like are Flame Angel, Coral Beauty, Royal Gramma, and 6-lined Wrasse. I also really like the way peppermint shrimp look. I get not all of these guys coexist with one another but that's why I'm here asking questions. Clowns starting is what most people do, I assume because they are very hardy and have been captive bred for so long. I am not sure about the two dwarf angels being together in your size tank. The Royal Gramma is a great addition to any tank. I love my 6 line as well, however they can become very territorial to new fish.

6. Any opinions if starting off repurposing my freshwater tank with hang-on-the-back equipment is a waste of time or a valid way to see if reefing is for me? You can def repurpose your equipment to saltwater. I think the general rule is to make sure your you didn't use copper as a medication in that tank or equipment. That could impact any inverts and corals down the road.

Anyone willing to mentor me please reach out as I want to learn and do right by any fish I do end up purchasing.
Welcome. I hope some of my answers can steer you in the right direction!

New thoughts as I'm moving from research mode to let's do this mode. Can I add sand, rock, and water and cycle the tank without all the filtration set up and then only add a filter skimmer heater and powerheads after I have stable microbiology?

1. I’ve seen tanks with hob filters and it can work but you’ll definitely probably upgrade as you get further into the hobby
2. 20lbs may be light for a 75g but I’m not sure
3. You’ll be surprised as to how heavy rock is or how little 75lbs of rock is. Members generally have dry rock for sale for cheap. I think 1ln per gallon is a good benchmark
4. You’ll probably need at least 2 lights for a 75g…
5. It’ll be hit or miss keeping two angels together. You’ll also need a lid for wrasses and that gramma.
6. My best advise is to start with an AIO tank…they are much easier IMO. I started with a used IM40 and it was great. I upgraded to a 150g and had to figure out sumps and plumbing, etc which really sucked

I researched for about 18mo prior to committing and still messed up a bunch lol. The best, albeit most expensive, way to learn is just to dive in. Happy hunting.

Back