Tank temperature

NanCrab

Supporting
Reaction score
Hi all! Not sure what caused this but my smaller anemone and toadstool have been unhappy for a couple of days. I didn’t pay too much attention because they get that way from time to time and I had just scraped algae off the glass which often makes them close up.
Anyway, overnight the smaller anemone moved to a new spot which it literally hasn’t done in almost 2 years. For whatever reason I looked at my Hydros app and saw the tank temp was up to 80 degrees from its normal 78ish range. I don’t know if something happened with the heater a few days ago when the power went out or what but my high temp alarm does t go off till 81 degrees so I didn’t realize it. I decreased the setting on the heater to 77 so it will gradually drop and did a 3 gallon water change (total system volume ~110 gal) which brought it down to 79.6. I know some people keep their tanks warmer but my fish and corals aren’t used to it and from the graph it looks like it shot up fairly quickly. Everything else looks fine. Was just wondering if it could’ve been the brief power surge/outage (maybe 15 seconds) could’ve messed the heater up. Guess I’m going to need to replace that one even though it’s only a few months old but now I don’t trust it. Guess I should take the inkbird out of the box and get it set up too.

Attachments

• F399011F-5A96-4FFB-AB2A-90F38C39882E.png
    F399011F-5A96-4FFB-AB2A-90F38C39882E.png
    302.6 KB · Views: 8
Heaters mess up for who knows what reason all the time. They are extremely unreliable in terms of temp control and longevity, that's why its important to keep it on a controller and multiple heaters vs. a single running at any time.

I had a toadstool pissed off at me for over a month one time, to this day, no idea why. All the parameters were well within acceptable range. As far as the anemone goes, who knows why things things move. Some will stay in one place forever and some will move around all across the board. I had one that moved up a rockscape, back down across the bare bottom, then up a glass wall, just to go back to the rockscape. They are annoying, hence why I don't keep them in my reef tanks anymore. Too unpredictable.

Heaters mess up for who knows what reason all the time. They are extremely unreliable in terms of temp control and longevity, that's why its important to keep it on a controller and multiple heaters vs. a single running at any time.

I had a toadstool pissed off at me for over a month one time, to this day, no idea why. All the parameters were well within acceptable range. As far as the anemone goes, who knows why things things move. Some will stay in one place forever and some will move around all across the board. I had one that moved up a rockscape, back down across the bare bottom, then up a glass wall, just to go back to the rockscape. They are annoying, hence why I don't keep them in my reef tanks anymore. Too unpredictable.
I’ve had these same 2 anemones since end of 2020. Have move their rock from my 125 to a 50 and now to a 100 and they’ve never moved. I’m not even sure it’s the temp but it did star acting strange a couple of days ago. Who knows, as long as it stays away from wave pumps. The big anemone is fine. Just tested water yesterday and everything is very stable so who knows

I’ve had these same 2 anemones since end of 2020. Have move their rock from my 125 to a 50 and now to a 100 and they’ve never moved. I’m not even sure it’s the temp but it did star acting strange a couple of days ago. Who knows, as long as it stays away from wave pumps. The big anemone is fine. Just tested water yesterday and everything is very stable so who knows
yeah, if water parameter is within range, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Back