1000w Halide Lighting Fixture

basscyn

Market
Reaction score
This may sound crazy, but I have access to some big parking lot lights that are headed for the dumpster. I just happened to notice they were Halide fixtures,big like...16x16 reflectors and 1000w halide bulbs. I am T-5 guy and dont know much about the halide scene. Just hate to see them thrown away if I can use them.

Can any of this be used in a DIY reef lighting project?

Thanks!

Commercial HID systems often use other metal halides other than Mercury vapor. To make a long story short, sure you could use them, but they would likely be yellow orange in color, and be really ugly and hot. In my opinion, it wouldnt be worth it. Youy could try to find an appropriate bulb for the ballast that was the right spectrum, reformat the reflector, etc etc etc, but I say just chuck it.

jmaneyapanda;198882 wrote: Commercial HID systems often use other metal halides other than Mercury vapor. To make a long story short, sure you could use them, but they would likely be yellow orange in color, and be really ugly and hot. In my opinion, it wouldnt be worth it. Youy could try to find an appropriate bulb for the ballast that was the right spectrum, reformat the reflector, etc etc etc, but I say just chuck it.

Yeah...I figured the bulbs would be a little strong. But thought maybe the rest of it had some potential.

I'll just wire'em to the house and light up my back yard instead!

I believe Rit had a 1000 halide light over his tank (265 gallon). I think he also had two 400 watters.

I just set up a 210 gallon tank, and have three CoralVue 400 Watt Dimmable ballasts/12K Reeflux bulbs/Lumenbrite Mini Pendants. I am waiting on my third Mini, and I have two of the 400 watt setups going on the left and right side, with a 250 watt HQI pendant temporarily in the middle, and all I can say when they come on is break out the sunglasses. A 1000 watt halide over a 29" deep tank is unbelieveable, but Rit sure had a nice tank.
Dave

I have two 1000w lights over my 240g (26" tall). It's bright... It's also really, really hot, and overkill. My personal opinion is that not only do you not need them, but it's just too much for any normal tank.

I've got both the LB and LB mini reflectors here, and thought about doing it, but didn't want to burn a hole in the floor...

And... I believe the reflector would be quite all right - it reflects 99% of the energy... :)

Back