100G Frag Tank Build / Suggestions needed

hn1

Market
Reaction score
Hey folks! The wife found a great deal on craigslist and after a little bargaining, I get a 100G frag (48x48x12) tank with stand and she gets to set up a 55G Discus tank. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif" alt="" /> BTW- thanks for the suggestions in the other thread about where to get them.

I would like suggestions on sump size. We have quite a few empty tanks, but they are all 20G or less except for one that won't fit the stand. So I'm going to need to look for yet another tank. :doh:

Lighting.... I'm thinking 1x250 MH pendant or 6-8 T5s. The heat is a concern with the MH. Is it worth it over the T5s? Thoughts? Recommended fixtures?

This is going to serve mostly as a growout tank for corals intended to go into our reef tanks in progress, but I was thinking of adding a damsel or two for pest consumption and a decent cleanup crew. Suggestions?

Also as you can see, it does need quite a bit of cleaning. What's the best way to clean acrylic of salt creep and dead coralline?

TIA!

[IMG]http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/len2009/DSC_0592.jpg alt="" />

I can't comment on the lighting for growing out frags, but almost every frag tank I see has a Yellow Tang for algae control and a six line wrasse or two for pest control.

Oh, and for cleaning, use warm water for the salt creep and just dump in some vinegar for the coraline. The vinegar will literally melt the coraline off and after sitting overnight, it will rub off with a sponge.

Mh is the best bang for your buck. Being a shallow tank, you should be able to position the light high enough that heat's not going to be an issue.

I also wouldn't be too concerned about even lighting throughout the tank. This will give you areas for high, med, and low light corals.

Use the biggest sump you can fit.

Damsels aren't really going to do much for pests. You're better off with a wrasse.

AH!@ I've been trying to get in touch with that guy forever. In all his FS ads on craigslist he never had any contact info.

Lucky!

Tyler

Thanks for the suggestions folks! :) I'm going to fill the tank next weekend and let it soak overnight with some vinegar in it.

Raj- I love wrasses so going with one intead of a damsel is awesome!

Jeff- A 75 would be great, but it won't fit under the stand. We already have a couple spare 55s that should be the same length. Unfortunately we can't use them. :(

Hellfire- Sorry.... he actually told us on the phone that he had forgotten to include any contact info originally. Lucky is right. My wife found the ad two days after it was posted and had been editted.

Great tank! If you need any help, let us know.

Sounds like a fun project - and I've got some free coral frags you can put in there!

A custom sump wouldn't cost that much. My buddy has a 60g acrylic cube sump that was built and trimmed in black wood. Gravity fed to and from it. T5's. His name is jgwhite on here or I could pm the number and he could send some pics. Dude has way to much stuff in his garage that he is always offering to me. Figured I would spread the wealth.

My bad. It's only around 40gal and it's already on here
http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30312">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30312</a>
He only used that with no skimmer though. Still would like to know who ya got it from. Sweet tank

Thanks for the offer Toke! It'll be awhile so those zoa "morphs" should have time to grow out some. lol

Smoothie- We found it on Craigslist. The guy's name is Brad. That's about all I know about who we got it from. He did say that it was originally used in an old LFS that closed in the area. Not sure which.

I thought that was his. Anyway good luck with the build. I can't wait to see what ya do with it

No real updates. Other than the fact that I think I want a clam now that au01 mentioned them. It's gonna get filled and get a cleaning this weekend. We have to upgrade our 20 to a 50 before I can really do anything with this one. All the 50 needs is to be plumbed, but we're waiting for the floors to be redone which was supposed to happen about 2 weeks ago now. Come to think of it, I need to make a call. Grrrr....

Booo
I saw that. Sent a link to my buddy that wants one for his garage business. He should be contacting you. If so we'll be driving up soon

Back