110 gallon acrylic tank leak

robbyerwin79

Reaction score
my 110 gallon acrylic tank is leaking into the overflow box at one of the bottom corners of the overflow,how and what should i use to seal it?
thanks,
robby erwin

If its full you could try something like aquamend putty. Weldon will not work underwater.

i just bought the tank used and i just was going to fill it with water and check for leaks and i did find this leak,the tank already had silicone around the overflow box and was leaking,so i scraped all the old silicone off and re-siliconed with all-glass aquarium sealant,and retested and it still leaked.so should i scrape all the silicone off and use the weld-on glue to seal it?

thanks for the responses.
robby eriwn

Heres the name of the Co. with the weld on glue with address and phone # great stuff to have laying around its 9 bucks and some change.

Calsac
<span style="font-family: Arial;">3105 Sweetwater Road, Suite J, Bldg 300. </span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;">Lawrenceville, GA 30044
(877) 422-5725</span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;">(770) 921-4550 </span>

Silicone is not good for sealing acrylic. The only time I use silicone on acrylic is when I mount an overflow in a glass tank and then I rough up the edge so it gets a good bite on the acrylic. Also silicone will not work if there is any moisture so you have to let the area dry good before applying it. Weld-on is the best choice for acrylic because it basically melts the acrylic together hence the name. I would clean all the silicone off make sure the area is dry and use the weld-on for the best results.

WILLIAM1;220603 wrote: Heres the name of the Co. with the weld on glue with address and phone # great stuff to have laying around its 9 bucks and some change.

Calsac
<span style="font-family: Arial;">3105 Sweetwater Road, Suite J, Bldg 300. </span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;">Lawrenceville, GA 30044
(877) 422-5725</span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;">(770) 921-4550 </span>
Saltwater City also sells weld-on

+1 john2604.

As for leaking into an overflow box... It's not a big deal I wouldn't bother fixing something that minor. In fact, some overflow boxes are designed to draw water in from other areas besdies just the top. As such, I think its ok if your tank leaks a lil into the overflow box as long as the tank itself isn't leaking.

the only thing i am worried about is shutting the pump down for maintenance or any thing like a power outage or something the whole tank would empty into the sump and overflow.the leak is not that bad just a trickle,it might not even leak once i get a sand bed in the tank,i dont know.
thanks for the input,
robby erwin

robbyerwin79;220885 wrote: the only thing i am worried about is shutting the pump down for maintenance or any thing like a power outage or something the whole tank would empty into the sump and overflow.the leak is not that bad just a trickle,it might not even leak once i get a sand bed in the tank,i dont know.
thanks for the input,
robby erwin

if you get a durso not much will go.

Get to walmart and buy the stuff called waterweld..WORKS GREAT!!! used it quiet a few times...hard as steal in 5 minutes and is safe for fish..can be drilled sanded tapped all that good stuff!

Back