110 Gallon FOWLR Rebuild

lsu_fishfan

Market
Reaction score
I A few months back, Rich posted a thread asking if anyone on the club attended Browns bridge church, and if they'd be interested in helping maintain their system. Being the reef addict I am, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to work on a tank. So my dad and I go check out the tank and the first thing we noticed the cyano bacteria on the rock and sand. When we opened the stand doors, we were greeted by a simp covered in salt creep, and a skimmer that wasn't even on! While we looked over the tank, bubbles began shooting out of the return, and we found out the ato wasn't on either.

image.jpg1_zpsjh6a7hyq.jpg
alt="" /></a>

image.jpg2_zps59ihfehl.jpg
alt="" /></a>

image.jpg4_zpshlh66xlv.jpg
alt="" /></a>

image.jpg3_zpsvqdmc1c9.jpg
alt="" /></a>

image.jpg5_zpscranf43z.jpg
alt="" /></a>

image.jpg1_zpsaidtf6c8.jpg
alt="" /></a>

image.jpg2_zpswz5v66yr.jpg
alt="" /></a>

image.jpg3_zpsa5b9bqkt.jpg
alt="" /></a>

My dad and I were surprised to find the tank in such bad shape and eager to fix it up. A few months of planning go by and we were finally ready to begin the rebuild!

We started by removing all livestock and equipment.

image.jpg7_zpsyei1a7pi.jpg
alt="" /></a>

While pulling out the equipment, we found this in the sump, with the wire barely attached and stil plugged into the outlet.

image.jpg6_zpsdqvw3z54.jpg
alt="" /></a>

To kill the cyano, we placed the rock in a bin and began the chemiclean treatment. We also decided to start with fresh sand for the rebuild.

First day of work done.

image.jpg8_zpsk7fsdh4z.jpg
alt="" /></a>

image.jpg9_zpsfekeh053.jpg
alt="" /></a>

We setup an RODI water making system to make water while we waited for the chemiclean to kill all of the cyano.

image.jpg12_zpsqbnczzoy.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Awesome transformation so far. Great that you all are doing this :thumbs:

While waiting for the rock to finish its treatment, 80 pounds of Carribsea special grade sand is added along with the first batch of saltwater.

image.jpg13_zpsz64ktylq.jpg
alt="" /></a>

On to my favorite part of a new tank build...
AQUASCAPING!!!

Sorry, no pics of the process. :sad:

But, here is the final product.:)

Front
image.jpg14_zpszgmjjvq7.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Right Side
image.jpg15_zpsu7phxsg5.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Left Side
image.jpg18_zpsd6vgalqm.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Quick walkthrough video
<!-- gcu-updated ame -->https://youtu.be/_r_LEsVsq-E<!-- gcu-updated /ame -->

After the aquascape was completed and all equipment was working, we let the tank run for about 2 weeks.

On Friday 3/11/16, the water tests came back with 0 ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.:)

It was time to add some fish, so we headed to Pure Reef to see what was available and ended up with a pair of ocellaris clowns.

Acclimating the new clowns
image.jpg19_zpsgbvnktvj.jpg
alt="" /></a>

The next day they're out exploring the tank
image.jpg22_zpsrahybsye.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Everyone looks happy, so we head back over to Pure Reef and begin to scout out more fish for the tank.
We ended up leaving with 5 new fish that were healthy and eating pellets. The new fish include a trio of Heniochus Butterflies, a flame angel and a lemon peel angel.

Heniochus Butterflies acclimating
image.jpg20_zpszlpjrbas.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Angelfish acclimating
image.jpg21_zpshw874yxl.jpg
alt="" /></a>

The butterflies in their new home
image.jpg23_zpslyfcxkct.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Quick video with everyone in the tank
<!-- gcu-updated ame -->https://youtu.be/BYVO4ibxDuY<!-- gcu-updated /ame -->

Back