110 watts on 55g enough for xenia/zoas?

thedregs

Reaction score
I bought myself a 220 watt PC fixture to start my reef with. I figured if I really got into the hobby I'd upgrade to a MH/T5 or LED system come Christmastime, but I didn't want to lay that kind of money down to begin with. The bulbs cost more than the fixture anyway, so instead of replacing them in 6 months, I'd replace the whole thing. That was the plan anyway.

The fixture arrived yesterday. 2 hours later I happily ran off to my first ARC meeting and picked up my first two frags for the tank. Xenia and a Zoa. I was happy. 3 hours after THAT, my 4 year old son managed to break both of the white bulbs, leaving me with a pair of actinics. (Don't worry, he's still breathing. Lucky he's cute).

So now I have 110 watts of light. I am leaving on a vacation for a little while, which means I won't have the time or the money to replace the bulbs for a couple weeks.

Will my two lil frags be OK until I can get new bulbs?

oh yeah, the xenia will survive with no light lol. I have it in my sump and it grows!

(Don't worry, he's still breathing. Lucky he's cute).

Oh sweetie.....they don't stay that cute for long! (trust me, I know....mine is a driving teenager!) j/k

You'll be fine. The Zoas are what you should be concerned about, and even they will be fine for a few weeks.

The xenia and zoas should be fine under actinics in the short term. And if the xenia doesn't make it, trust me, I can get you more.

DrNecropolis;369306 wrote: The actinic isnt going to provide much usable light... More for looks really....

i though antinic lights penitrated more?

Great! I'm a dork for Xenia. I think a tank full of different xenias pulsing away with some mushrooms, zoas, and maybe polyps would look great. Lucky me for digging the cheap stuff. Hopefully I'll grab a bulb soon so my tank stops looking like the blue lagoon. And thanks again for the Xenia, Leslie. Heck, maybe I'll end up taking you up on the offer for more as well. The current batch does seem to be doing well.

The Xenia will thrive on the moon if given the chance to get there. Depending on the type of zoa's, some may be alright but it's a hard call since they can be particular.

Back