12 hour FIGHT with MY RBTA!! Any suggestions?

camellia

Supporting
Reaction score
This thing is way to big for my 75 gallon.

I started out rubbing its foot with my fingers, aimed a MP 10 at her (she didn't mind) for over an hour.

4A516A58-8BBD-4B13-904F-607DD3EE42B0_zps5pwmatdw.jpg
alt="" />

Tried ice for a while in a 5 gallon bucket with tank water, rubbing foot with it's foot out of the water. Only tentacles could touch water, it didn't phase her!

F638D31D-8044-4FF0-86CB-57FD3F848B67_zpsgzexfuoy.jpg
alt="" />

Removed it from the water completly after 8 hours of coaxing and rubbed foot, dipping occasionally back into (temp controlled water) and it started releasing, some progress yeah!
3EAA0BAD-052B-4187-8BA2-64CC4430E005_zpswc0ghueq.jpg
alt="" />

Thinking I would win and get it off the rock, I didn't give up. I really want to cut this monster into four!
03DAA120-0AA5-4D9D-9AEC-7943FDD128BB_zpstuawiboo.jpg
alt="" />
With it not releasing, I decided to put it in the counter top and wait it out. I fell asleep sitting in a chair!
After waking up to my head hitting the table, I surrendered and put her in my QT.
Here she is this morning, URG!
91768FC5-3C36-4FC6-B510-CE699D26397C_zpsmwpsiudq.jpg
alt="" />

Any ideas?

Cut to rock with a dremel, remove the piece from the main rock and start again?

It's attached to a 6 pound lace Rock that has a hole through it. Ha, I bought the rock just for her hoping she'd be happy not not move around. Jeez, was I on point!

I cut up several large pieces with a dremmel last night but not on this type of lace rock. I don't think my little diamond blades would cut it, do you?

Camellia;1045897 wrote: It's attached to a 6 pound lace Rock that has a hole through it. Ha, I bought the rock just for her hoping she'd be happy not not move around. Jeez, was I on point!

I cut up several large pieces with a dremmel last night but not on this type of lace rock. I don't think my little diamond blades would cut it, do you?

If it's too hard, I usually cut a groove and stick a chisel (or screwdriver ) in there and hit it with a hammer

HiImSean;1045903 wrote: I'll take it off your hand ;)

No can do!
It's just way too big for my tank. It split about two years ago but it's about 17" diameter again!
However there will be 3 for sale soon, hopefully!

john_shay;1045904 wrote: If it's too hard, I usually cut a groove and stick a chisel (or screwdriver ) in there and hit it with a hammer

Im confused! I can get to the foot completly because of the hole thru the rock. What would cutting the rock do to help?
Are you talking about prying off the foot? I don't want to kill it :(

Camellia;1045925 wrote: No can do!
It's just way too big for my tank. It split about two years ago but it's about 17" diameter again!
However there will be 3 for sale soon, hopefully!

:wow2: 17"!!

dang+dirt.jpg
alt="" />

I've had success with using a tooth pick to pry the foot off a rocker before

Yes Sean, that's the problem. It's huge!

Can't it actually die if you harm the foot? I can obviously get to its foot but don't want to hurt/kill it!

It's in my Qt and I've aimed the flow and light way from it. If it wants some, it will have to let go of this huge rock �, we shall see in the AM.

She's way to content today. Foot is covering entire crevis of rock, about 9".

So I changed it up and put a hydro korrila nano about 7" from her foot. I couldn't do this in my DT because it would have just grabbed onto another rock, killing other coral!

I've tried all those tricks too, usually without success. Huge bonus that you can remove the rock!

When I've be able to remove mine, it's been getting lucky with catching it in transit. My experience is that you're going to have to use something pry a bit. I grabbed a handful of the top and used the flat edge of a credit card to gently, but consistently work fractions of an inch of the foot up at a time.

Back