12 Hour Power Outage - How I Managed

melissa

Market
Reaction score
Friday evening we had thunder storms in my area and they were fairly intense. They hit fast and hard, then we had sprinkles for the rest of the evening. First heavy wind came at about 6:30 or 7pm. A tree on the street outside my neighborhood fell across the road minutes before I went down the road. Thank God I hadn't left a couple minutes earlier! The fire trucks hadn't reached it yet and there was only one car in front of me to get around the tree. It took out the power lines along the street causing a blackout.

I got the bright idea to plug the power strip from the tank into a 400W power inverter for the car. I'm sure some people haven't heard of these wonderful tools. I picked it up at Home Depot for $35 or $40 bucks to use on a 10 hour road trip so that I could work on my laptop. I could have gotten the little dinky one that would have worked just fine to power my laptop but I wanted a good one so I stepped it up a couple notches and got the Husky 400W that will (supposedly) run some power tools. It plugs into your lighter, you flip it on and it has a couple outlets on it. I ran an extension cord to the car, cranked the car and plugged it in.

My first mistake was not unplugging the lights and heater from the power strip. I forgot that the lights were in the "on" position on the timer. So I blew the fuse in the inverter. Unfortunately they do not come with extras. We had to run out anyway to get some dinner since we couldn't fix the sloppy joes we were planning on making (because my handy gas range has a handy electric lock-down feature! If anyone knows how to override this, please let me know. Sears was no help.)

So we picked up some new fuses and got the thing working again. This time I plugged in the Tunze nano skimmer and a maxi jet 1200 for a half hour. This was around 1:00am. The power came back on around 7am. Things went fine and all seems to be well. No other problems with the fuse. The tank looks ok. All corals survived. Fluffy is alive and well.

So the moral of the story is - spend $40, get your tank a power inverter and definitely pick up some extra fuses. You will probably need it some day, even if not for the tank. Maybe you can use it for your laptop on a long road trip.

I have a small skimmer and heater plugged into a computer UPS. If the heater stays off (i.e. summer) I might get 24 hours out of it. I think that is a good investment. After that the power inverter sounds like a good idea. Do you have to leave your car running the entire time?

I have a UPS but it was dead in no time. Plus the dang thing has this awful alarm on it, as if I didn't know there was no power! If your tank lights are on when the power goes out and you have them plugged into the UPS, I'm not sure how long it would last. And after the battery is dead, it's a waiting game until the power comes back on.

I left my car running so that the battery wouldn't die. I have a lot of money invested in my tank. A little gas money doesn't bother me at all. I just sat outside, since it was cooler outside than in the house anyway, and watched the car to make sure nobody tried any funny business.

purpleGORILLA;73272 wrote: Just curious, you left the car running throughout the nite?

I only ran the inverter for a half hour to an hour. The car was running while the inverter was running.

bzwaagstra;73266 wrote: I have a small skimmer and heater plugged into a computer UPS. If the heater stays off (i.e. summer) I might get 24 hours out of it. I think that is a good investment. After that the power inverter sounds like a good idea. Do you have to leave your car running the entire time?

dont trust that UPS to run a normal powerhead very long at all, and a heater will only run a few minutes

they are great for short outages though, the couple minute variety

hard to beat a good portable generator though, great for camping too

in fact, look how cheap some of these generators are getting, this would run pumps and a heater no problem

a>

Was at Brands mart the other day. Saw a 6500watt generator for $234. That's not a lot for a security blanket. Actually I might just go and pick one up.

We have a 6500W generator and had an electrician install a transfer switch on the main power panel ($550 installed with whole house surge suppressor). When the power is out, we have power for the whole house except the microwave and A/C. It works well for summer storms, but we really bought it for the ice storms in winter; the generator will allow us to run our gas fired furnace and keep the house (and fishies) warm.

Simon.Kruger;73344 wrote: Was at Brands mart the other day. Saw a 6500watt generator for $234. That's not a lot for a security blanket. Actually I might just go and pick one up.

wow I had no idea they had the cheap ones local, that beats getting one shipped

I've never been to brandsmart what part of the store do they have them in?

megadeth;73360 wrote: wow I had no idea they had the cheap ones local, that beats getting one shipped

I've never been to brandsmart what part of the store do they have them in?
Yeah Harbor Freight tools has 1000w generators for something like 150 bucks or so. These things and the ones at Brandsmart are not very good machines... they are cheap chinese knock offs, as long as you aren't using them at a job site every day they work fine. I have an old Coleman powermate 3000w I got off EBay that had a blown head gasket that I got running, but I was thinking of picking one of these up for extra protection. I have 5 tanks so I have a lot to lose!

Just remember to anyone that does use a generator to put some gas preservative (I think it's called StabiLock or something like that) into the tank. Gasoline will break down after sitting around in a generator's gas tank for a year and ruin your day the next time you need it.

Back